• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium Terrestrial Plant Hanging Baskets

Hi All

I've not been on in quite a while. Since posting last I've completely done away with CO2 and Ferts and am now quite enjoying a 100% Low Tech but equally clean and green heather wood scape. Pic Below

Does anyone have any ideas for hanging terrestrial plants in soil onto the side of an aquarium so that the plant can benefit from the light? I have two open top aquariums and would quite like a terrestrial hanging basket to make my musk turtle tank a little more jungle like on the outside.
2aaf29c484f29bf984efc04cdd2d7c41.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I think Foxfish as tank with a example what your after planted 3 sides on outside of aquarium but using the tank water for aquatic planting. B an M sell fridge storage trays would be ideal for terrestrial planting with a little diy for hanging,they also have bathroom suction caddies could be used in or out. Very nice low tech aquarium Richard

I think Foxfish as tank with a example what your after planted 3 sides on outside of aquarium but using the tank water for aquatic planting. B an M sell fridge storage trays would be ideal for terrestrial planting with a little diy for hanging,they also have bathroom suction caddies could be used in or out. Very nice low tech aquarium Richard
Very helpful thank you!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Is the plan for a riparium or are you wanting the plants to sit outside the tank? Foxface's tank is a great riparium and many of the same plants make good choices outside as well. Pothos is a great trailing species as are tradescantia, sweedish ivy or even spider plants.

If you like the plant to stand in the water, for example in a hob filter or any other hangon construction than trailing bog plants are you're best bet.. Since most aquarium plants are bog plants than the ones which do good in lower humidity can easily be used. Hydrocotyl is one. :) Look in a pond plant (web) shop, there are quite some trailing marginal pond plants available, creeping Jenny is very common.. And in summer time there are also tropicals for sale in the pond shop as trailing marginal pond plants that are also sold as aquariumplants in an aquarium shop. Some alround house plants growing where ever you palnt them and also as riparian is Syngonium. Search for (trailing) house plants suitable for growing on Hydroculture. These plants do not mind having their roots continuesly in a puddle of water.

A small list out of my mind which stay also in a somewhat managable leaf size.
Creeping Jenny
Bacopa
Hydrocotyl
Bog pimpernel
Masus reptans
Soleirolia (Terrestrial Baby Tears)
Syngoniums
Philodendrons

I know there are more, just do not know their names. (Anymore out of my head)

Hydrocotyl sp. Japan grew emersed and started creeping along/trailing along the window sill for me, so that may work well :)

Back