• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium Photography

tomh

Hi,

I have been looking for advice on photographing my planted tank but have been struggling to find anything. There are a lot of great photos on this site so I was hoping that people would be able to share their ideas. I have a Nikon DSLR but I am actually getting better photos on my Iphone, albeit at low resolution. Any basic or advanced techniques would be great?

Thanks

Tom

Plenty of reading there, thanks guys, i will see how i get on.

Ok after much reading and 1000s of photos i am starting to figure it out, so though I would post a couple. Still a long way to go though. I have used Photoshop for many years but not attempted any on photos yet, but think I may look into it.

Taken with a Nikon D5200 on HRD mode

9454720478_95242eb872_c.jpg

9454752962_9c48941885_c.jpg

9455064258_caebeeb693_c.jpg

9451979584_a3ef8fef1e_c.jpg

I think you're well on your way there. I'd suggest a slight white balance tweak to reduce the yellow tint. Some boost in saturation would help perk things up a bit. I don't usually process aquarium photos in HDR because I always some contrast and dark areas in a scape.

I think you're well on your way there. I'd suggest a slight white balance tweak to reduce the yellow tint. Some boost in saturation would help perk things up a bit. I don't usually process aquarium photos in HDR because I always some contrast and dark areas in a scape.
Great, I will give it a try, thanks

Whatever you settle on, photgraphy is fascinating and I've found that especially with shrimp it enables you to enjoy the detail that you'd probably
never appreciate with the naked eye. I've always enjoyed taking pictures of my tanks and shrimp, but found myself getting increasingly frustrated with the point and clicks. Earlier this year I bought a Canon DSLR, just with the standard 18-55mm kit lense and it's the best thing I ever did! It's a now becoming a hobby in it's own right, and I've just this weekend ordered myself a dedicated macro lense. Can't wait to get snapping next week!

My advice would be save for the DSLR! :)

Back