• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium overhang

Worshiper

Hi guys,

My aquarium has a bit of overhang from both sides on the foam pad. Is that okay or will it cause issue for me when filled? I cut the foam pad a lil too small. I'd try new foam pads but the tank is too heavy for me to lift so wouldnt do it unless its unsafe.
Its a rimless 80cm. Here are the pics from the front.
20200924_115033.jpg
20200924_115028.jpg

Is there a reason why you used 2 layers of foam? If not, then 1 layer likely is more than enough...

Then cut both foam pieces at a correct 90° angle at 1 side... Place it on the cabinet with the seam in the middle of the tank and then cut the foam at the sides with a boxcutter when the tank stands on top. 💪 It will be in exact size then... :)

Is there a reason why you used 2 layers of foam? If not, then 1 layer likely is more than enough...

Then cut both foam pieces at a correct 90° angle at 1 side... Place it on the cabinet with the seam in the middle of the tank and then cut the foam at the sides with a boxcutter when the tank stands on top. 💪 It will be in exact size then... :)
Thanks Zozo. It was a cheap yoga mat so thought id need to double layer it incase it completely colapses with the tank filled.
My DIY (Arts n Crafts) skills are really poor so couldnt even get the size right:oops:.

Look at a few jurnals and a few with same question, my aquascaper 900 is exactly the same barley covers side peices of glass but must be fine i even got in touch with EA and said its completely normal.

Pics below and all aquascaper tanks do this.

Hope that gives you peace of mind. Must be very strong silicone/glue

Dean
05b1d56c7672adab714bf10439ba34d6.jpg
ec2cd429af158147a68ba77dbebd3f87.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Look at a few jurnals and a few with same question, my aquascaper 900 is exactly the same barley covers side peices of glass but must be fine i even got in touch with EA and said its completely normal.

Dean

That's quite surprising, you would have thought the outer panels required some support, as they must be heavy. I guess the pressure of gravity on those outer panes is inconsequential compared to inner pressure of the water once filled, making support the panes redundant.

Dean

Thanks Deano3. A picture is worth a thousand words ;).

That really helps! Thank you!

That's quite surprising, you would have thought the outer panels required some support, as they must be heavy. I guess the pressure of gravity on those outer panes is inconsequential compared to inner pressure of the water once filled, making support the panes redundant.
Yeah the silicone must be very strong like glue to hold together, the aquascapers only sit on a frame and outer pannels are not supported at all just bottom but obviously works .

And your welcome worshiper for the pics

Back