• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium mat suggestions for 1500mm tank

Wookii

Quick question to the group. I'm finalising the stand for my new 1500 x 600 x 550 tank, and plan to add a protection mat to the top to place the tank on. The top is made from 25mm Trespa which is a high density compressed laminate, so very stong and very flat, but I always like to go full belt and braces.

There don't seem to be any off the shelf mats at this size from the usual brands like JBL etc. I have seen this one on eBay, but I'm not convinced by the quality of the material in the close up image:

Otherwise I'm wondering if I would be better with some EVA Foam:

If I go with that, I'm unsure whether I should be going with the higher 100kg density stuff given the filled tank will weigh over half a tonne, or the lower 45kg density stuff to allow more compression to deal with any surface irregularities (which is the whole point of the matt) - probably the former 100Kg version. Also which thickness - I was thinking the 10mm?

Its a very expensive tank, and I want it to last until I 'shuffle off this mortal coil', so I want to get this simple cheap element right. Any thoughts and suggestions (that don't involve yoga mats) are most welcome?

JBL do a 150cm x 50cm Wookie, i would just buy 2 pieces and make sure it fits snug underneath , if its a struggle you could always lays the tank on its side and super glue the mats to keep them in place after all once set up no one will see, these type of mats look much better underneath a tank than the old polysterene tiles we used to use btid.

I've bought similar off eBay, can't remember if it was the same seller, but it's served it purpose well; to even out or absorb any imperfections in the cabinet top. Since you're using Trespa, I don't think you need worry unduly. The mat I received was pretty much indistinguishable from the ADA version. But, use whatever will give you the most peace of mind; that in itself is priceless.

Back