• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium lids?

FrozenShivers

Hello, I'm having condensation issues in my small office where I have two (soon to be 3) open top aquariums, I'd like to put some lids over them during winter to help counter this, is there an easy/cheap DIY method? I have hardscape going past the rim of the tank so I need something that can have cutouts to accommodate this.

Thanks in advance!

I ordered one for a 40x40cm cube for c £40. They added 3 holes to my own design.

ps my Long Covid brain was preventing me remembering the material, perspex, of course. it was buckled a bit over time. But they will cut it to your needs.

Just cut this one out in under 10 mins.
20221219_185025.jpg

I've just picked up a sheet of 4mm twinwall polycarbonate for £20 from homebase. Cut with a stanley knife or sturdy scissors. Not as aesthetically pleasing as perspex, but a damn sight easier to work with!
I bought the same thing from B&Q

I bought the same thing from B&Q
I knew I'd be paying over the odds at Homebase but it's closer! Homebase only do "brands" (assuming you can find anything useful between the soft furnishings and other useless stuff.

This is where I got the perspex: Perspex® Acrylic Cut To Size Perspex Sheet UK. The cost for the 40x40 was actually £75, because it was a special make, with holes added so I can dangle pothos and to have angles at the corners, for the gubbins.
Is it easy enough to work with the perspex and to cut holes in at a later date? And what is it like for warping?

I ordered the perspex from a company that cuts it for you – I don't have DIY tools and amn't very handy. It did warp a bit, yes. and I;d suggest glass if you can get it.

I have Perspex and on my larger tank yes it warps so I flip it every week or so.

Going to glue some strips on it to act as stiffeners like you see in tanks. Should stop the warp till I can sort some glass to be cut

A lid deffo reduces evaporation so should help condensation

Currently in the process of putting together and this is for my vivarium rather than aquarium, but should work anyway.
I have a Redsea jump guard (DD would work too, but the Redsea suited my needs)

I have removed the netting and will silicone a thin sheet of acrylic to it all the way around.
I may even incorporate a brace bar in the centre to prevent it bowing.

Just had a quote for 4mm non toughened glass, polished edges
100x40cm
£47

At a local glass company to give you an idea

Not sure if it’s been mentioned
However different materials will have different attenuation profiles
Years ago (whilst still at uni), i kept chameleons, i used a hid light as a source of both heat and uv
I used a spectrometer to check the output, i found that even different glass resulted in greatly varying transmission, i also tried twinwall plastic glazing material, which i used to use for aquarium lids/covers
Unfortunately i didn’t keep the results

I make my own out of glass. I have noticed a bit of light loss, but its slowed my evaporation to a crawl. Although twin wall polycarbonate sheet is strong, and easier to work with i would imagine you would get a lot of light loss using them. My lights are on full so couldn't adjust if i needed to.

20230112_121139.jpg

What about gas transfer guys? My understanding is that using a solid panel will hamper it quite a bit. Isn't that why mesh lids are used so much more often? Wouldn't a dehumidifier be a better option, if moisture caused by evaporation is a problem, that doesn't affect your tanks?

Back