• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium Dark Spots

Jason Blake

Hi,

I am running a 4ft planted tank and I am using a Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0. LED I went for the 36" to 48" fitting however this appears to actually be too small as the LED lens is actually about a foot too short, which I guess I should have worked out!

The thing is it now means that edges of my tank are actually quite dark especially the right hand side due to a large piece of redmoor root. At the edges I have mainly Crypts, anubias and echindodus.

So I am just wondering if these dark spots are going to cause me problems or should I fork out and get the 48" to 60" fitting?

Could be an expensive mistake!

Thanks

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 262
I think the crypts and anubias will do just fine. I have my crypts and anbuias directly under shades of driftwood and swords. They still grow well.

A suggestion is to monitor the situation for a few weeks before spending more money.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

The built-in T5s in my 4ft were somewhat short like your new LEDs and the shaded areas at either end had stunted (or no) plant growth. I recently replaced them with a pair of Zetlight Lancia ZP4000 1200mm LEDs, which are just about 1" short of full coverage, and have already noticed the difference in plant growth at the previously dark edges.

Actually ALL tanks have "darker" spots - light intensity is allways less at edges and in corners of the tank. Tall and broad plants, as well as much of decor, will to some degree shade some space.
The "trick" is to find plants suited for any particular place. This way you can even do "layers" of plants in your tank.
Ex. Anubias actually prefere growing in shaded places, if your tank is just reasonably well lighted. Exposure to strong light intensities usually cause Anubias leaves to be attacked by different algae. Cryptocorynes of the Wendtii-types are really good at adapting to quite extreeme, low light intensity, too, as is the 'Petchii' variation og Cryptocoryne beckettii.
Such plants can usually thrive under ex. huge Echinodorus or in shaded area under Microsorum-ferns attached to branches of wood, overhanging a carpet.
- if you can afford it (plants cost, I know) it is really interesting and awarding, to try out "how low you can go".........

Back