• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium cover and water evaporation

Nico Felici

Hiya all,

As I will (hopefully) fly back home for Christmas and have nobody to look after my 30cm cube, I need to do some thinking with regards to water evaporation.

I won't be away for longer than 7/8 days, but as water normally evaporates fairly quick I worry that it could get below the safe line for filter and thermo. I could move them closer to the substrate, of course, but this won't come too easy and I was wondering if another solution could be having cellophane film covering my tank (I don't have a proper cover). Would this be an option if I make a couple of tiny holes in it for gases exchange and some minimal air circulation? There are 5 RCS in the tank which is what makes me think a fully sealed covered would be a silly move, despite the tank being densely planted and so generating enough oxygen, I'd have thought.

Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks

Hi, if there isn't a huge temperature difference between the tank and the room I think there should not be a problem with evaporation. I have a 30 cm cube and this is my experience. Certainly you can tell how much the estimated evaporation would be for seven days. The cling film is not a bad idea either.

All in all I think you will be fine!

Hi, if there isn't a huge temperature difference between the tank and the room I think there should not be a problem with evaporation. I have a 30 cm cube and this is my experience. Certainly you can tell how much the estimated evaporation would be for seven days. The cling film is not a bad idea either.

All in all I think you will be fine!

As above, I have 3 20ltr unheated tanks, and I can easily go a week or more without topping up any water. In a heated tank, there would be more evaporation.

That said, a lid will help a lot. Anything will work and it doesn't need to cover the top completely to help considerably with evap.

Hi all,
I have 3 20ltr unheated tanks, and I can easily go a week or more without topping up any water.
There are 5 RCS in the tank
I'd just turn the heater off? The shrimps won't mind and it will stop nearly all the evaporation.
and it doesn't need to cover the top completely to help considerably with evap.
That is right, anything that reduces the rate at which the 100% saturated water vapour can escape will reduce evaporation.

cheers Darrel

I'd try to avoid anything that could cover the entire surface of the aquarium. If it manages to fall in (interim solutions are not always the most sturdy construction, certainly not in my case anyway) it could reduce oxygen diffusion into the tank. It happened to me with a made to measure acrylic lid. If you go for the cellophane film option, I'm not sure if water could escape over the edge of the tank via capillary action but I'd test it for a few days just to make sure you won't come home to a little puddle under the tank.

I'd just turn the heater off? The shrimps won't mind and it will stop nearly all the evaporation.

cheers Darrel

This also, as long as the room they are in doesn't get too cold the shrimp will be absolutely fine. Before you go away you can slowly reduce the temp until the heater can be turned off.

Temperature isn't something I had considered but it does make sense. I won't turn the heater completely off as the heating in the house will also be off for the whole week (nobody will be home), but will instead gradually take the water temperature down to 20°, as well as make a cellophane lid to cover roughly 70% of the area. That should do.

Thanks all!

I use the glass from clip frames to cover my tanks. They are easy to cut to size and sturdy enough to rest on the rim of the tank without drooping but thin enough not to really block the light much. I then just leave a gap at the edges for air exchange. You can also buy glass clips for them to sit on.

As an example of what I'm talking about
6/8mm Aquarium Tank Clear Plastic Clips Glass Cover Strong Support Holder x!S;UK | eBay

Back