• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium Botanicals

Smoggy_Bobby

Morning all,

I see and read a lot about botanicals within aquariums and the many benefits they bring.

Just curious to which (if any) natural products anyone places in their tanks.

Hi all,
Just curious to which (if any) natural products anyone places in their tanks.
<"Structural leaf litter">, I use Beech (Fagus sylvatica), Oak (Quercus robur, Q. rubra, Q. ilex), Camellia (C. x williamsii), Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica), Evergreen Magnolia (M. grandiflora), Strawberry Guava (Psidium cattleianum) and Alder "cones" (Alnus glutinosa, A. cordata). I can pick all of those up, I don't buy any of them.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, <"Structural leaf litter">, I use Beech (Fagus sylvatica), Oak (Quercus robur, Q. rubra, Q. ilex), Camellia (C. x williamsii), Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica), Evergreen Magnolia (M. grandiflora), Strawberry Guava (Psidium cattleianum) and Alder "cones" (Alnus glutinosa, A. cordata). I can pick all of those up, I don't buy any of them.

cheers Darrel

Ah, I have ordered Bael pods, Parviflora pods and some lotus seed heads. Ill be sure to remember the above so i can save myself some money in the future!

I'm a cheapskate as well.
Hornbeam is good as well and the leaves last a long time. I've tried sweet chestnut leaves and they look good but decay quickly.
I've also used the little cups acorns grow in, beech masts and the shells from various nuts cracked at Christmas (I checked them in a glass of water before to see if they kicked out any oils but Brazil and walnut were fine I think).

Back