• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquamanta

Crowe1

Hi all

I’m not new to aquariums and filters but I’m having a great deal of problems with my aquamanta efx 600 canister filters.

First I biught this from a bloke who said he had not changed it since he got it as in cleaned it.

It was a state but still flowing water so I thought a clean and it will be good

As I took it apart I thought it was strange how the filter media was set up so I looked online at videos that state the flow of water is clearly wrong in the instruction manual as well as shown by the in and out labels on the filter itself.

I connected it all together and it was leaking and sounding like it was sucking air I disassembled it and reassembled it and a couple of times had plenty of air being blown form the out pipe and then eventually the leak comes from inside the head or the outer seal. I have replaced the outer seal and lubed it up and get a great suction seal when pushing the head into the canister. Like i say it all looks great till powering it up and air is going in and then a min or so later a leak appears. Has anyone had similar problems or can give me any tips all would be welcomed thanks

Hi @Crowe1, could you take a pic of where the leak comes from? I also got one of these in a state secondhand but after stripping it down it worked fine.
I imagine the leak is coming from where the connector valve meets the filter or the connector valve itself. There are a couple of o-rings in the connector and also on the hose tails. If it is coming from here the head will fill up with water as the top is just a plastic cover. It's not a great design but other than that I think it's a pretty good filter. It's quieter than the eheim and fluval I have.

Hi I replaced the o rings and due to disconnecting it and connecting it that many times I have snapped the plastic handles that open and prise the head up. I do believe you are correct and that is exactly what is happening the hose connector block seems loose even with new o rings and I believe water is then filing up the inner void in the filter head

Still I do not know what the best plan to fix it is

There is a link that shows this filter is setup wrong in the instructions could you advise me on this as to how you set yours up

I searched aquamanta 600 on google

It totally threw me and I’m not sure is the right and wrong way

Water flows from top to bottom throug the trays, then comes back up through the central pipe. Hence, there is coarse media in the top tray (pre filter) and then fine media after that. The way he describes it is exactly the way it’s shown in the manual for the EFX600.

if I were setting it up, I’d fill the top tray with coarse sponge, and the other trays with biological media. I would use the fine filter fleece at all.

Sorry I can't remember but I think hypnogogia is right.
From memory on the underside of the filter head, water coming into the filter goes past the priming mechanism, then into the canister, down through the filter trays the back up through the tube and out of the filter.

Still I do not know what the best plan to fix it is
Without having it Infront of me, it's a bit tricky to advise sorry. Could you take the whole thing to a Maidenhead. Say you bought it from them and they'll help you to get it working.
Alternatively I also picked up another second hand filter with cracked inlets. I've not tried it yet so can't say for sure this will work. But I plan to get some male threaded hose tails and tap a thread into the cracked inlet. Then use quick disconnects to allow me to separate the filter from the hose.

With regards to filter sponge/media order. Personally I put a sponge over the intake strainer for mechanical filtration and easy access for cleaning. The sponge on the intake reduces the amount you need to open the canister for maintenance. Then I'd put alfagrog, dish scourers or whatever 'biological' media you like. Contrary to Pondgurus marketing, packing a filter full of his media or any media does not improve filtration

Water flows from top to bottom throug the trays, then comes back up through the central pipe. Hence, there is coarse media in the top tray (pre filter) and then fine media after that. The way he describes it is exactly the way it’s shown in the manual for the EFX600.

if I were setting it up, I’d fill the top tray with coarse sponge, and the other trays with biological media. I would use the fine filter fleece at all.
Hi thanks for reply do you have a copy of the manual that says that because this one clearly states it this way as it is told this on the aquamanta Maidenhead aquatics video too

Attachments

• 84AFB3AB-2D2A-45A5-B708-BADB421EB2FA.png
    84AFB3AB-2D2A-45A5-B708-BADB421EB2FA.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
It’s either taking in water on the inlet outlet connection or through the primer. I replaced the outer o ring and it was that tight as I had not lined it properly having it on and off that it was too tight and the plastic handles snapped me trying to get it off. I ordered a new one but this filter is that good I would love to try get the bits and get it working

I’m not saying it does I’m saying I’m that video the man says it but I’m saying that the image shown in the diagram is set up as in the sponge and Bactria media seems back to front
I think the manual makes sense. It shows the coarsest media at the top, going to a sponge and then ceramic bio media, and then another (finer) sponge - which will also act as bio media.

If it were men, as I dais, I'd have coarse sponge at the top, and then bio media for the rest. No filter fleece at the bottom. Hope that helps you set it up.

Back