• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aqua medic co2 reactor 1000 help

Ivan Stoyanov

Hi,

I have AM reactor 1000, which I run with eheim 4 pro 600. The problem, which I had is that he builds too much gas pocket at top of the reactor, which at the end of co2 period is half of his length. I'm not so sure, if this is problem, the pocket is removed for 3 hours after co2 stops, but seems not ok for me.
I read some old post about this reactor mod, but not sure how to doit.
Can someone tell me if removing the bio balls inside him will fix the gas pocket or something else, what can help me.
I think to buy eheim compacton 1000 and put to work through purge, but I'm not sure if its work and this will mean more equipment on my 55 g aquarium with 2 eheim pro4+ 600 filters.

Thanks

Last edited:
The problem, which I had is that he builds too much gas pocket at top of the reactor, which at the end of co2 period is half of his length. I'm not so sure, if this is problem, the pocket is removed for 3 hours after co2 stops, but seems not ok for me

I have the same issue with my DIY APS-EF2 with my high injection rate, using bio balls or sponges changed nothing, fitting a Venturi may help resolve the issue but that will also be CO2 injection rate dependant also.
Plus if your tank is doing well otherwise why is the CO2 pocket/bubble an issue?

I'm using the reactor from couple of days and this is why I'm not sure. I will observe it some days more maybe its not matter

Zeus, had you fixed the gas pocket or you don't care about it :)
I saw something about putting inline atomizers, before reactor can fix this, but I'm not so sure. I think you tried something like this in your setup.

Last edited:
Ok, I understand to not do anything :)
Other thing which I saw due the built gas pocket after co2 off, my ph drop very slow. I'm thinking to shut off co2 earlier due this, but will observe it more to be sure I have enough co2 levels.

Ok, I understand to not do anything :)
Other thing which I saw due the built gas pocket after co2 off, my ph drop very slow. I'm thinking to shut off co2 earlier due this, but will observe it more to be sure I have enough co2 levels.

That would be my solution too. if you have a build up of gas, and the reactor is still able to actively dissolve it, just turn your gas off earlier. if you can monitor the pH, just keep changing the shut off time until you start to see the pH increase at the lights out point.

That would be my solution too. if you have a build up of gas, and the reactor is still able to actively dissolve it, just turn your gas off earlier. if you can monitor the pH, just keep changing the shut off time until you start to see the pH increase at the lights out point.

The C02 pocket will/should help buffer the CO2 going off and help maintain a more stable [CO2] for the rest of the photoperiod IMO, so as @Wookii suggests you should be able to have your CO2 going off a little earlier, @ceg4048 has stated that the fist 4-5hrs hours of the photo period in high light tanks is the critical time to have a stable [CO2], maybe with a CO2 pocket in reactor we can aim for the first 4hrs only ????

I will try, but first will observe, how much ph rise, if I stop co2, maybe 2 hours before lights off. My photo period is 7 hours. Just to be safe, I stop it now 1 before lights off.

I will try, but first will observe, how much ph rise, if I stop co2, maybe 2 hours before lights off. My photo period is 7 hours. Just to be safe, I stop it now 1 before lights off.

I would just adjust the switch off time by half an hour at a time.

You could also try removing the bio-balls from the reactor, as it may result in more turbulence in the gas where the water enters the reactor. I have my reactor set up this way (built around a 20" filter housing), and the turbulence is sufficient to prevent a gas pocket build up. That may result in larger bubbles getting beaten down to the reactor outlet though, as the AM1000 in only 30cm long, but you can overcome that by adding a small section of coarse filter foam at the base of the reactor. It's worth experimenting.

Last edited:
I found, how to remove the gas pocket, just installed a tube on purge, which returns to aquarium. Will try to see, what will be dissolved rate, while purge is constantly very little open. I'm not sure, which away will be better with gas pocket or without. Will tell next days :)

So nothing worked so good, but after I set the reactor on 1350 lph pump, it's stopped to build a pocket. The dissolved rate is little better, but not so much. Everything else on reactor is on default.

Back