• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

APT Fix

Per the instructions...Especially effective for BBA, hair/string/fuzz and most forms of filamentous algae. Ive had fine hair algae which i manually removed, and couldn't imagine how you would go about spot treating it.
The instructions do say you can dose the entire tank. It just says not effective as spot dosing, which clearly would be tricky on some algae. I've never had a major issue with the other types of algae.

The instructions do say you can dose the entire tank. It just says not effective as spot dosing, which clearly would be tricky on some algae. I've never had a major issue with the other types of algae.
Right yeah i imagined it would be something like that.

Jumping in potentially late here but APT has been superb for killing off staghorn that I have been plagued with. I haven't had much luck with glut but this product has worked wonders for me.

Not tried directly on plants (Dave from AG reports it killed the leaves he used it on) but I may try if it comes back.

I tried it direct on crypts and java fern with no apparent issue.
Nice, thanks. Sadly I've got some Spirogyra in my tank, I feel as if it might work as it seems to be a great product but I'm very reluctant to spray it near the mosses and stems.

I've got the tiniest bit of BBA on an anubias, I may try during water changes today

Jumping in potentially late here but APT has been superb for killing off staghorn that I have been plagued with. I haven't had much luck with glut but this product has worked wonders for me.

Not tried directly on plants (Dave from AG reports it killed the leaves he used it on) but I may try if it comes back.
Can you please tell me how you dosed it?

I know Excel works for many people, but it had no effect in my tank. I even soaked plants with algae (BBA) in 100% excel overnight. It didn't hurt the plant or the algae. I tried Fix and the algae was gone in a couple days. It died and the snails ate it. I applied it by spot dosing, not by treating the entire tank. I apply it directly to the plants and have never had any plant damage.

I know Excel works for many people, but it had no effect in my tank. I even soaked plants with algae (BBA) in 100% excel overnight. It didn't hurt the plant or the algae. I tried Fix and the algae was gone in a couple days. It died and the snails ate it. I applied it by spot dosing, not by treating the entire tank. I apply it directly to the plants and have never had any plant damage.

Something very wrong with your Excel there, it will completely destroy almost any plant if exposed to 100% Excel, even for a minute, let alone overnight. I tried spraying an anubias plant, out of the tank with a 1 part Excel and 4 parts water mix to get rid of some BBA, and left the misted plant out of the tank for 5 minutes - over the next few days it melted to mush.

Can you please tell me how you dosed it?
Most effective way on hardscape has been drop the water level, dose with the pipette, wait for a while then fill back up. It completely kills BBA.

On plants it does work, though I tend to dose under the water line

Something very wrong with your Excel there, it will completely destroy almost any plant if exposed to 100% Excel, even for a minute, let alone overnight. I tried spraying an anubias plant, out of the tank with a 1 part Excel and 4 parts water mix to get rid of some BBA, and left the misted plant out of the tank for 5 minutes - over the next few days it melted to mush.
Yeah, that's what I figured. I didn't think it could expire, but I guess it can. It was a newly purchased bottle too. Needless to say, I wasn't willing to spend more money on another bottle to see if I was right. I tried Fix, and was very impressed with the results.

Hi Folks,

For those who are using APT Fix, do the instructions include any safety information? This may be supplied as a Material Safety Data Sheet, if considered applicable by the manufacturer. I only ask as it may disclose some of the ingredients. Even though we sometimes have very little/no choice, I, like others, feel a tad uncomfortable adding unknown potions to my tanks.

JPC

Hi Folks,

For those who are using APT Fix, do the instructions include any safety information? This may be supplied as a Material Safety Data Sheet, if considered applicable by the manufacturer. I only ask as it may disclose some of the ingredients. Even though we sometimes have very little/no choice, I, like others, feel a tad uncomfortable adding unknown potions to my tanks.

JPC

I bought a bottle this week to try out, as I’ve got a bit of Staghorn making an appearance in my holding tank. No, no MSDS included, but the liquid has a the same familiar ‘green’ smell (!) as Excel, but not identical.

I bought a bottle this week to try out, as I’ve got a bit of Staghorn making an appearance in my holding tank. No, no MSDS included, but the liquid has a the same familiar ‘green’ smell (!) as Excel, but not identical.

Hi Gareth (@Wookii)

I will be interested in your findings. I have an idea what the active ingredient may be. But, I'm keeping that close to my chest for the moment. Chemistry isn't my forte but I'd be happy to exchange ideas with any professional Chemists. I just don't want to be the instigator of bad science, if that makes sense.

JPC

The Fix bottle lists the ingredients as 3% epoxy aldehydes. They do not provide the msds for any of their products.

I noticed that Buce Plants has a new product for algae control. I asked them if it was gluteraldehyde based, but they would not tell me. They said it is an extract of organic waste and comprised of natural compounds that inhibit photosynthesis in single-cell organisms. The MsDS says that it is non toxic. They say it is organic, but so is gluteraldehyde, so that means little. I checked the MSDS and is says it's nontoxic except that it is a mild eye irritant.

Last edited:
APTFix sounds like gluteraldehyde from the description that it is effective against BBA, biodegradable within 24 hours, and will not harm plants except Vals, mosses and liverworts. There is less description on Buce algae control and the MSDS is uninformative, but it appears to be another repackaged Glut. Both claimed to be non toxic to fish and shrimp, which is true as Glut is least toxic to live stock. Personally I have dosed Glut at twice the recommended dosage with no impact on fish and shrimp. Glut, however, is narrow spectrum and is ineffective against GSA, GDA, green water, and green thread algae (spirogyra, clado).

Interestingly, both 2Hr and Buce web sites have an algae control section and both recommend using Glut and H2O2 to treat algae while marketing their own repackaged Glut products.

Hi Gareth (@Wookii)

I will be interested in your findings. I have an idea what the active ingredient may be. But, I'm keeping that close to my chest for the moment. Chemistry isn't my forte but I'd be happy to exchange ideas with any professional Chemists. I just don't want to be the instigator of bad science, if that makes sense.

JPC
Did you read the first page of this thread? X3NiTH made some very interesting comments on the product.

Did you read the first page of this thread? X3NiTH made some very interesting comments on the product.
Hi @Hanuman

Yes, I read the comments made by @X3NiTH and, who knows, he may be correct. But I arrived at a different conclusion. I do know one or two professional chemists whose knowledge of organic chemistry goes way beyond mine. I'm generally OK with inorganic chemistry but organic chemistry is a different ball-game.

JPC

I got a bottle to check out. To me it seems to be a bit more concentrated Glut with a bit of thickener added to it. I guess that is the Epoxy Aldehyde bit of jargon. The slightly thicker and stronger solution makes it work faster and cling to the treated areas better/longer.

@dw1305 Any clue as to suitable thickeners for Glut ?

Back