• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aphids in dry start.

SRP3006

Hi all,

Apologies about the poor pic quality through the condensation.
Are aphids (assumption on my part) as much a issue in my dry start as they are to the plants in my garden?
I can only see the creatures on one plant at the moment.

I'm hoping there is some reasonable explanation to this?

Cheers.
bf6ebb70111fb7f7d3c8b06ec62d61eb.jpg

I'm just guessing... could they be springtails instead. If they were then you could culture them for fish food.

I'm just guessing... could they be springtails instead. If they were then you could culture them for fish food.
I don't have any real experience with micro creatures encountered in aquariums tbh, but after a little research on springtails it seems that's what they are. I read that they do not necessarily cause any damage to the plants and could help remove any mould that grows during the dry start.

If that's the case then they can only be a good thing right?

Hi all,
If that's the case then they can only be a good thing right
Springtails are a good thing.
could they be springtails instead
They could be, but I think they are aphids. It is easy to tell, springtails hop if you disturb them, aphids won't as they are "plumbed in" to the plant phloem.

Partially why I think they are aphids is that springtails don't usually come out when the lights are on.

cheers DArrel

Partially why I think they are aphids is that springtails don't usually come out when the lights are on.

cheers DArrel

Therefore are aphids just as bad for aquatic plants as terrestrial?

As I have been dealing with a explosion of them on my rose and raspberry plants recently.

Best pic I can get.
c69d7ea03f96379510ab3f26d6473c66.jpg
681ab93ae4baa469ec5c29084f6e4a52.jpg

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Hi all,100% Aphid.Yes.

You could try flooding it for ~24 hours and then draining again?

cheers Darrel

Thank you,
Is that my only option? I filled the tank to start with and getting it empty was a Pita to be honest.

Would sealing the tank with cling film do anything or would there be too much oxygen to effect them?

Flooding is a good option because it would remove the honeydew coating the leaves, which if left unchecked could encourage mold.
There are alternatives like adding aphid predators like hoverfly larvae or a ladybird beetle. Spraying with clean water can help to remove the honeydew. I would guess that spraying the affected plant with a dilute solution of potassium sorbate could help to prevent the progress of a mold, if you notice one.
Clingfilm will not work, I'm afraid. I keep lots of insects in sealed tubs that are still permeable enough to maintain large colonies.

Thanks, them seem to be confined to one plant at the moment.

Do i need to completely fill the tank or just cover the plants?
And does anybody know if temporarily flooding the tank would cause any issues with the dry start?

You could try spraying them with soapy water first. That is add a few drops of washing up liquid to the sprayer and spray liberally. It often works on terrestrial plants.

Apparently, it breaks the surface tension and coats the little blighters in soap suffocating them; it definitely brings tears to their eyes ;) After you flood, make sure that you perform several significant water changes to get rid of any soapy residue before adding critters.

If the soapy water trick doesn't work then fill with enough water to just cover the plants. They should be okay for 24 hrs. Either way probably better than watching your plants slowly sucked dry by aphids and dying.

You could try spraying them with soapy water first. That is add a few drops of washing up liquid to the sprayer and spray liberally. It often works on terrestrial plants.

Apparently, it breaks the surface tension and coats the little blighters in soap suffocating them; it definitely brings tears to their eyes ;) After you flood, make sure that you perform several significant water changes to get rid of any soapy residue before adding critters.

If the soapy water trick doesn't work then fill with enough water to just cover the plants. They should be okay for 24 hrs. Either way probably better than watching your plants slowly sucked dry by aphids and dying.
That's exactly what I spray on the plants outside. Just a little stronger. Seems to have the desired effect for a day or two so could stop them. I'll try it and report back. Thanks.

It doesn't work........

I have sprayed them, to be honest it went against everything I've ever known about aquariums, (detergent/soap and fish don't mix)but I'm not holding my breath as it doesn't do much to them in the garden....
I prefer to use it in the garden as it's a softer approach so it doesn't effect beneficial insects.

I will keep an eye on them and will flood to just above the plants if it doesnt work.

Does flooding remove all the bugs/eggs or is it like trying to remove pesky snails

Well, washing the plant under running water would get them off, with a bit of help. I'd probably flood the tank and rub the leaves to get them off, then try taking all out. I maybe mistaken but don't think they'll drown and if some are left on the soil, they may come up on the plant again. I tried to drown mine in soapy water and even that didn't work. They ended up infecting all my window sill plants last summer, all destroyed. I wish I had binned the plant they first appeared on...

I maybe mistaken but don't think they'll drown and if some are left on the soil, they may come up on the plant again. I tried to drown mine in soapy water and even that didn't work.

I have to say that's not instilling me with much confidence. I'm away in 2 weeks time for 11 days and planning on leaving it dry until I come back so i can get everything set up correctly, and not have to dial it all down for the hol.

How did you get rid of yours?

Can't you just squash them?
That was when I last checked the tank at 9pm last night. When I came home today they are on a few of the Saggitaria, but can't see any on the DHG which makes up most of the carpet.

Back