• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anything like Java Fern and Anubias from the New World?

devakalpa

Hello all,

A very happy New Year to all.

I was wondering if there are any broad leaved aquatic/amphibious epiphytes from the New World, especially South America. I know of the various mosses and crystalworts but was specifically looking for plants 'similar' to the Java Ferns and Anubias.

I ran this question past wetwebmedia.com and Dr. Neale Monk's response was detailed but he added he personally did not know of any of the kind I was asking about. I am not asking this question primarily as an aquarium hobbyist, but was interested to know more about this seeming void.

There are some very knowledgeable members here and I'd be honored if someone can shed some light.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Devakalpa

At Flowgrow.de forum is at the moment a discussion going on about the same question..
http://www.flowgrow.de/pflanzen-allgemein/aufsitzerpflanzen-aus-sudamerika-t39239.html

There was one interesting plant suggested, unfortunately without ID but it was gathered in south america and growing reophytic. As the pic shows it grows emersed with shoots growing on submersed in this guys tank...
rankeperu.2.jpg

There probably are more, but till now unknown in the aquarium trade..

Me too i was asking myself this same question, that's how i stumbeld uppon this thread.. :) Thinking of it, there might be ferns to find able to slowly be transitioned into immerseble growth.. After all the african bolbitis sp or Didymoglossum erosum actualy also are rather terrestrial and reophytic in the natural habitat than submersed. I'm sifting a bit through databases to gather fern sp. from SA that grow rather hydrophylic in nature or require very high air humidity. Microgramma sp. could be a valid candidate and like it very wet, once in a while offered in terrarium shops. :) Not yet got my hands on it, still hunting..

I had a plant very similar to this pic. "sneaking in" with a young tree imported from SA, when I was working at a zoo-exibition. Turned out to be some kind of Philodendron as it grow bigger (very much bigger, actually :woot: ). Leaves changed form drastically, into 5-lobed (ot is quite common for plants to have "juvenile" and "mature" leaf-shape). Many philodendron grow very well partially submerged, for quite long time.
There are a lot of other SA climbers, though..........
Spatiphyllum (peace lily) species are probaply one of the SA Aracea's, that come close to Anubias. Many will tolerate submersed live for some time......but I know of none, that can survive submersed long-time.

Last edited:
Back