• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone used a monitor spectrometer to messure the aquarium lightings

Gandalf

Seedling
Hi
I have a X-rite Display pro Spectrometer.
Anyone used anything like this to measure the aquarium lights?
I have some rgb floodlight I wanted to get a sensitivity - wavelength diagram of them.

Hi
I have some rgb floodlight I wanted to get a sensitivity - wavelength diagram of them.
Well... if you can diffuse the light and accept some peak losses due to material absorption should "profile" your lights just fine
AND IF the software gives spectrum analysis by wavelength.
Not seeing it atm.
Custom designed RGB filter set provides accurate color measurements
It's not designed for anything aquarium related afaict.
Seneye does the same as the above..and gives relatively good par values but no "peak anaysis"

If you just want a basic unit that uses a linear sony sensor and diffraction gradient there are cheap alternatives.
Software is not free if used for commercial purposes..

The spectrometer should use diffraction over rgb analysis.

Thank you, not so cheap these things. :)
Well $200 us vs the next step up..$600-$5000
:eek:
Best "PAR" meter is $500
Quantum meter is more practical though.
Current only real argument besides looks is
"Do I add IR"?
I'll leave uv out atm. Too many uv " bands" and too many ??
For fun:

Last edited:
No, no one uses this as it does not help to grow healthier plants. As oreo57 mentions, a more useful tool is a PAR meter, which will help prevent you from dumping too much energy into the tank. So this does help to grow healthier plants.

Cheers,

Hi @Gandalf

In order to view the light spectrum, I use a pretty basic setup, which you will find here:

It obviously cannot be used underwater but at least you'll get a decent spectrum in air. And it's very low cost.

JPC

Back