• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone use tree wood in their tank?

I have used apple tree wood. Soaked it for a while and scrubbed the outer bark off to reveal the hardwood inside. Had no issues and it has been in the same tank for a year now.

mattb180 said:
I have used apple tree wood. Soaked it for a while and scrubbed the outer bark off to reveal the hardwood inside. Had no issues and it has been in the same tank for a year now.

Did you put it in the oven or anything and was it live or dead wood? I keep looking at trees seeing all this lovely wood that I could be using lol

Pulled it off of a tree in my garden. It was only thin pieces mind, if you were to use a thicker branch I would probably bake it in the oven and then remove the bark and soak for a bit.

Like I said I have had no trouble. Hardwoods are generally ok. A few have poisonous sap which can be dangerous.

pick up wood. Clean with brush. Drop in tank. Just make sure it is not from next to motorway or near an airport. I never strip off outer bark.

Hi all,
Now the corn has been cut, have a tour around any fields with large "stag-headed" Oaks (Oaks don't like having their roots ploughed up and respond by sacrificing branches until they eventually turn up their toes (if the ploughing goes on long enough) or commons etc with old specimen trees and you should find plenty of bits of dead wood which have already lost their bark and sap wood.

I pick up any suitable bits I see and then just store them until I need them.

Stag-headed Oak
1486935_6e118297.jpg

cheers Darrel

Back