• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone tried these "exotic" species

niru

Hello Everyone

I got hold of the following from a new lfs. All plants are from Italian company Anubias, and are invitro cultures except one. Has anyone tried/have these, and what are their recomendations regarding growing and aquascaping...

1. Bucephalandra Motteyana sp. Sintang (very expensive.. charges £35 for 1 plant)
2. Staurogyne Sp. Bihar
3. Limnophilia hippuroides (not sure if this differs from L. Aromatica.. lfs insists its different.. more red)
4. Hygrophilia Balsamica
5. Proserpinaca palustris (not exotic per say)

I have the first 3 at the moment. Guess Hygro grows too big, and I have never managed to make a Proserpinaca grow in my tank. I have seen the Bucephalandra posts from Vasteq.

my tank is 180 litres, 2X45W HOT5 - 8.5 hrs, 6+bps reactor mixed CO2 9 hrs starting 4 hrs before lights ON, directional flow from 3 pumps/filters well exceeding 10X rule, Acadama substrate with peat, laterite bottom, EI ferts. I have schools of 3 different tetras and loads of red shrimps.

Any feedback, recos, advice, is welcome..

cheers

1) Bucephalandra Motteyana sp. Sintang - a friend of mine gifted it couple of months back - grows just like anubias..but appreciates light a tad bit higher than anubias, more the Co2 in the tank the peppering will get intense. Can be easily used in MG
2) Staurogyne Sp. Bihar - A plant from my country as the name 'Bihar' - it's a state, a simple plant and grows in condition parallel to any other Staurogyne Sp. - Predominant MG plant IMO.

1) Bucephalandra Motteyana sp. Sintang - a friend of mine gifted it couple of months back - grows just like anubias..but appreciates light a tad bit higher than anubias, more the Co2 in the tank the peppering will get intense. Can be easily used in MG

Thanks! Does it need to be tied to stone/wood, or should be tucked in the substrate? Does it have rhizome issues like Anubias?

2) Staurogyne Sp. Bihar - A plant from my country as the name 'Bihar' - it's a state, a simple plant and grows in condition parallel to any other Staurogyne Sp. - Predominant MG plant IMO.

Yes I gathered that much.. How big/small the leaves and stems go?? I use Stauro as a FG to MG plant.

Many thanks indeed.

The Lim. hipp. will go more - well, I would call it purple - then the standard aromatica. It's a really good, dense stem, easily regrowing from being cut.
Can even grow nicely without adding CO2 :thumbup:

I have some bucc growing on rocks and some growing in tropica plant substrate and believe it or not, the stuff growing in the substrate is growing A LOT better and a little quicker.

loves both rocks and wood! :) if possible tie in such a way that the roots penetrate the soil..I have noticed this way they grow tad faster(like 1 leaf per 21-22ish days)..they are terribly slow grower though..:)

as for the styro - they grow big in comparison it's brothers..:)

Thanks everybody :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Back