• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone ordered plants from pro shrimp?

I've ordered a couple plants from them on Ebay. Really good quality. If I can't get the plant from k2aqua then I use Proshrimp

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Pro Shrimp great for dry goods, and hardware but perhaps not always the best choice for plants.
If you want guaranteed quality plants try one of our sponsors. I always use Aquarium Gardens.

Wasn't there a thread fairly recently, where someone had a lot of problems with their plants from there? Sounded like the customer service left a lot to be desired...

My go-to is always Aquarium Gardens, I'm always impressed by the quality of their plants and the way they package them! That's why I was hesitant to order from pro shrimp. I only want to order from them to get some potted Cryptocoryne crispatula that I can't find anywhere else apart from 1,2 grow cups!

My go-to is always Aquarium Gardens, I'm always impressed by the quality of their plants and the way they package them! That's why I was hesitant to order from pro shrimp. I only want to order from them to get some potted Cryptocoryne crispatula that I can't find anywhere else apart from 1,2 grow cups!
Give AG a call. They often have plants for sale that aren't in the online catalogue, or show as out of stock.
If they don't have it Dave or Steve will order in and get it to you asap

If I can't get the plant from k2aqua
I have used these guys and you literally get in 24 hours. Quite fantastic. Plants have been really good and free postage! If they have what you are after, you always receive a very generous amount and great quality.

Now if i were buying 1-2 Grow etc, AG is the place to go. I don't even think they are particularly expensive compared to others.

Pro Shrimp okay but i have received some that are clearly past their date and the pots broken.

Lucky to have options!

Si

I have always been happy with pro shrimp. Usually the cheapest as well and u can use a promo code (FIVE) for 5% off.

I only want to order from them to get some potted Cryptocoryne crispatula that I can't find anywhere else apart from 1,2 grow cups!

Now this has always been a bit confusing to me, is Cryptocoryne balansae and Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae the same plant? I was under the impression that balansae grew much bigger with wider darker leaves, and crispatula kept it's narrow crinkled leaves?

is Cryptocoryne balansae and Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae the same plant?
I'm no expert but know that Crypt Crispatula comes in several forms of which Balansae is by far the most popular. Other forms Including Flaccidifolia and Tonkiniensis (Flowgrow) I have never personally seen for sale but I think Kubotai is starting to make an appearance on the continent and will hopefully make it over here soon as it's a beautiful plant (bloody brexit). In the smallprint of Tropica's Crispatula lable it's revealed that it too is Balansae. Cryptocoryne crispatula - Tropica Aquarium Plants.
The thing with Crypts is the species can be massively diverse depending on their surrounding conditions. I had to remove this plant from my aquarium for fear of it completely taking over, they were popping up all over the place along with the Retrospiralis.
As always though I stand to be corrected (need to use that as my signature).
Cheers!

Now this has always been a bit confusing to me, is Cryptocoryne balansae and Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae the same plant? I was under the impression that balansae grew much bigger with wider darker leaves, and crispatula kept it's narrow crinkled leaves?

I'm no expert but know that Crypt Crispatula comes in several forms of which Balansae is by far the most popular
Cryptocoryne balansae is a simply a synonym of Cryptocoryne crispatula var balansae. There are 8 variations of Cryptocoryne crispatula, crispatula var crispatula is probably the one with the narrower leaf.

Balansae.

Crispatula.

Var. Is the abbreviation for variety. Comes from the Latin varietas.

Last edited:
This is the plant, I've wanted some more of it for ages!
tempImagejOlS3A.jpg

The maidenhead aquatics where I got it has one in their display tank too, and it's right next to a huge balansae! they look completely different with the balansae having huge thick leaves which I'm not too keen on, especially for my smaller 60cm tank!

Cryptocoryne balansae is a simply a synonym of Cryptocoryne crispatula var balansae. There are 8 variations of Cryptocoryne crispatula, crispatula var crispatula is probably the one with the narrower leaf.

Balansae.

Crispatula.

Var. Is the abbreviation for variety. Comes from the Latin varietas.
I used to have this site bookmarked but some reason it disappeared a couple of years ago (user error), glad to have it back.
This one is also a reasonably good site for info, for anyone who is interested. http://aroids.palo-alto.ca.us/

Back