• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone know any non-sword, broad-leaved midground background plants for a 50cm tall aquarium?

noobscaper

Same as title. I've tried amazon swords twice, but they just stay low and wither away. The only tall plants I have right now are Hygrophila 'Thailand' and one of the long wavy crypts (balansae? retrospiralis? the third one whose name I can't for the life of me remember?). They're growing marvellously, but I'd rather have something a bit bushier than the crypts, preferably like them but filling more horizontal space in the back (because the crypts are looking a bit sparse).
I'm thinking of Aponogeton boivinianus and giant vals. Any ideas? Open to suggestions for midground plants too because my scape looks a bit flat;)

Thanks in advance.

Detailed information of your aquarium would help
Aquarium size
Substrate
Lighting
Photoperiod
Temperature
CO2
Water parameters- tap, tank
Fertilization

Current plants
Current livestock

Amazon swords you tried - was this potted nursery stock from an aquatic plant company?
Some swords are more demanding, but there are several that are “easy”

the crypts are looking a bit sparse).
This is also raises questions
Why aren’t the crypts flourishing
Recently planted
Crypt melt
Species

Aponogeton ulvaceus is fairly undemanding and fast growing but like most swords, Aponogetons require a nutrient rich substrate

Why aren’t the crypts flourishing
I meant that they grow upwards, rather than sideways. They do send out some runners, but the leaves are a bit thin, so I see the background.

240l
Cheap aquasoil (AquaArt AquaSubstrate) and root tabs once a month
1x Chihiros A1201 (standard model, not Plus)
8hrs, noon-8pm
24 degrees Celsius
Preferably no CO2 needed
Medium-hard tapwater, 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 20ppm nitrate
Blue-Line Micro and Macro ferts (seems to be one of those cheaper lean dosing solutions) - alternating 10ml every day
Microsorum pteropus, Anubias nana, Echinodorus amazonicus, Bucephalandra theia, Cryptocoryne retrospiralis/spiralis/balansae (very established), Hygrophila pinnatifida, Hygrophila 'Thailand', Sagittaria subulata, Cryptocoryne wendtii 'green', Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica'

1 x angelfish
7 x bronze cory
1 x BN pleco
12 x molly
1 x SAE
3 x neon dwarf rainbowfish

But it'll look more like this in a few months

4 x angelfish
15 x bronze cory
1 x BN pleco

The swords I tried were indeed potted and from a nursery.

Back