• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone have fert list to make 2hr aquarist APT Complete please.

Personally I don't really hang my hat on these clear distinctions of rich vs lean dosing anymore - I think there are many more shades of grey in between, and I think the experienced aquarist learns by trial and error what needs to be dosed to a specific tank to maintain it over time, and that is rarely full EI.

That being said, I do agree absolutely with @Hanuman that EI, or at least "dosing to known excess" is most certainly an ideal strategy for the new comer to high tech planted tanks, and eliminates one more variable for them to worry about until they gain sufficient experience to start tailoring dosing for themselves.

I don't think we really disagree on the fundamentals here. As I mentioned above I had my first success with a planted tank by following the dosing to known moderate excess regime and wouldn't hesitate to recommend that to beginners if that's all they want in order to get going.

I would tend to agree, it's certainly a case of 'in at the deep end' but we have to accept that high tech is the glamourous gateway drug that leads many into the hobby these days, especially the way it is prompted by leading manufacturers and the YouTube brigade.
Unfortunately yes. And I do think forums like this with its high percentage of CO2 users are indirectly piling on to the notion that you need CO2 - or worse; high CO2 - to keep a successful planted tank - with all that entails in terms of long term upkeep and rigorous maintenance. Much too often we see hobbyists come here with plant and algae issues related to CO2, light in excess or lackluster maintenance rather than insufficient amounts of fertilizers.

Cheers,
Michael

Back