• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone had good success with TMC Grobeam 600's?

willsy

Hi

I'm currently changing over aquarium and am going to re-use my 4 TMC Aquaray Grobeams.

I was using 2 of them on my closed top 125L but I'm moving to a 180L open top where I can suspend them. I can also improve c02 injection with my new dual stage regulator.

Trouble is that I've not had a huge deal of success with the TMC lights. I get a lot of melting of plants etc. I also notice that growth is better on my original aquarium since putting on my old Arcadia LED stretch lights on there!

I understand about c02, ferts and flow etc.

Just wanted to really know if there are success stories with these particular lights and I'm not flogging a dead horse. ;)

Cheers

Will

Meaning the lights work too good

meaning lower light, more adapted to your situation
So it's not my lights. It's just how I'm using them?

The thing is that everyone seems to have success with T5 for high tech but I can't find anyone having success with Grobeams 600s in particular.

Or am I simply talking rubbish and if I get everything balanced they will work?

If anyone uses the Grobeam 600s with excellent results I would really like to know to put my mind at rest. ;)

Cheers

Will

if I get everything balanced they will work
:thumbup::thumbup:
Plants will grow in almost all light situations, aquarists then to melt them with to much light.
( even the Amano tanks are low light mostly)

I use one over my 70L low tech. I use it with the controller and ramp up and down (4 hours each side) - it hits 90% at the peak but then starts ramping down again. Plus floating plants reduce the light further. Brought a pair and my brother has the other one over his 100L without a controller.

Maybe you just need less of them or to use a controller to limit the output?

Have you read through this Ian Holdich journal

Back to my roots
Hi Alto

Looks like Ian switched from the Aquaray tile to the low tech Aquabar quite early on. This is probably more comparable to my old Arcadia stretch.

I'm just wondering if the Aquaray Grobeam's are too intense even on a dimmed setting?

Cheers

Will

I use one over my 70L low tech. I use it with the controller and ramp up and down (4 hours each side) - it hits 90% at the peak but then starts ramping down again. Plus floating plants reduce the light further. Brought a pair and my brother has the other one over his 100L without a controller.

Maybe you just need less of them or to use a controller to limit the output?
Hi Tam

Do you get good growth low tech?

Thanks

Will

Do you get good growth low tech?

I think so. It's slow and steady, but healthy. I don't have them at the moment, but red root floaters really coloured up nicely under it - you could see the outline of the light bar in the green to red colour change so I don't think they limit growth in any way. No issues with melting. I've a lot of anubias, some crypts, buce, vallis - I'll take you a photo this evening if you like.

Y
I think so. It's slow and steady, but healthy. I don't have them at the moment, but red root floaters really coloured up nicely under it - you could see the outline of the light bar in the green to red colour change so I don't think they limit growth in any way. No issues with melting. I've a lot of anubias, some crypts, buce, vallis - I'll take you a photo this evening if you like.

Yes please, a photo would be great Tam... I would really appreciate that.

Just really like these lights with their shimmer effect, plus I already own them so won't need to spend extra on lights for my new aquarium!

Really only need some confidence to carry on with them... I think it's probably a few things that I was doing wrong with my old aqaurium before (which I plan to rectify this time around). :)

Thanks

Will

I have two of these over a 60x45x45 cm signature tank and they do well. I don't run a controller, just on for 6 hours and then off. The room gets lots of natural sunlight but they seem to do a good job.
The tank is fairly low tech, low co2 injection, and the tank is a jungle style setup. I have lots of floating plants plus masses of guppy grass, crypt balansae, crinium calamistratum, buce's, anubias, aponogeton. Most of the time it's hard to actually see in the tank due to the plant mass.
I have failed with various stem plants but I think that was me and not the lights and since I've got better it's only really hygrophila pinnatfitida that has failed.

So I know they grow plants but it's just a matter of finding those that thrive for both you and the tank.

I know it’s a different array of LEDs but my aquaray mini tile 400’s and 500’s have been great. The additional dimmer is ace too and really helpful to start low (I’m at 12% on a single tile approx 20cm above a 16litre nano) and turn it up if it’s insufficient. I have a ramp at either end which is also useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry, haven't mastered taking aquarium photos - it's not as dark as it looks here.

Attachments

• IMG_6717b.JPG
    IMG_6717b.JPG
    520.3 KB · Views: 216
I also had a horrible experience with the Grobeam 600. I had a pair on top of my 60x45x30 and struggled for almost two months until I decided to pack them and use the Fluval plant 2.0 LED light that had come with the tank and suddenly all the problems went away even though I was using a lot more light. Never really understand what I was doing wrong. Had the controller and kept pushing them down without any success. However I have seen a few people using them without problems so likely to be difficult lights rather than anything wrong with them

Well, the conclusions are not always straight forward if one clears their minds of what they constantly read about....

Here is what I make out from all the comments so far....

it's only really hygrophila pinnatfitida

Hydrophila pinnatifida requires light on the high side.

Sorry, haven't mastered taking aquarium photos - it's not as dark as it looks here.

Beautiful tank dominated by low light requirements plants.

I know it’s a different array of LEDs but my aquaray mini tile 400’s and 500’s have been great. The additional dimmer is ace too and really helpful to start low (I’m at 12% on a single tile approx 20cm above a 16litre nano) and turn it up if it’s insufficient. I have a ramp at either end which is also useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The tank is dominated by a big java fern if I remember correctly from your other recent thread?

Never really understand what I was doing wrong. Had the controller and kept pushing them down without any success.

Perhaps you should have pushed up, contrary to what everyone else told you.

I get a lot of melting of plants etc.

Meaning the lights work too good

One gets a lot of melting if they don't put any light over the plants for example, or have insufficient light over the plants, so how come the conclusion is the light is too much?

Hydrophila pinnatifida requires light on the high side.

It does need a good amount of light yes but I believe in my case it was a co2 limiting issue rather than light as it grew strongly before I cut back on co2. Don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting these lights are amazing but they are a fair quality for their price and I don't find them limiting at all, in fact i'm impressed just how dense I can grow my plants with them.

Like lots of things in life we can be happy and love different things. I've played with led's that cost thousands when I ran a lfs but am still using 2008 led technology over my sps tank because it works. I actually strongly dislike the most popular led in the marine hobby and was not impressed at all with the freshwater version which people go crazy for. So for me its find something you like and try to find what works rather than keep chopping and changing because you think it doesn't.

One gets a lot of melting if they don't put any light over the plants for example, or have insufficient light over the plants, so how come the conclusion is the light is too much?
I ,perhaps falsely, presumed the new lights are brighter then the old ones. And, like when people changed their T8's with the then new T5's, problems arose like melting plants.

with the then new T5's, problems arose like melting plants.

I doubt it melting plants is an issue with high light......Brighter lights can certainly drive deficiencies but melting isn't one of the issues....Can you show me any proof/evidence, even anecdotal but proven, that melting plants is due to using stronger lights? However, there is evidence that plants melt when the light is below their light compensation point...

It does need a good amount of light yes but I believe in my case it was a co2 limiting issue rather than light as it grew strongly before I cut back on co2.

Light and CO2 can compensate each other. The higher the CO2, the lower on light you can go. If you back down on CO2, the light compensation point increases, so you need to up the light.......My hydrophila pinnatifida I grew some years back in a non-co2 tank melted until I moved it to better light conditions, then the melting stopped and it started growing...

Back