• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone bred Cory's?

NorthernDan

My Sterbai have laid eggs all over the place.

In with Cherry Shrimp/Otos and a Bristlenose. I'm not really interested in breeding them as such. Just interested to know if anyone who has experience can tell me the chances I get any surviving?

Thanks

I put the eggs in Tupperware with a few leaves and moss. Change 50% water daily. They hatch easily. I then kept mine in a 30L with shrimp and gourami fry. I raised 10 that way. I think you could keep them in a Tupperware in the tank for 3 weeks and give them a start. I raised all 10 and added them to my 100L. A delight,

All the eggs are still there at the moment. It's coming up 48 hours.
I haven't seen anything show interest in the eggs. Fingers crossed!
I think I'll let these take nature's course. However if/when they spawn again I think I'll try your method @AlecF

I put the eggs in Tupperware with a few leaves and moss. Change 50% water daily. They hatch easily. I then kept mine in a 30L with shrimp and gourami fry. I raised 10 that way. I think you could keep them in a Tupperware in the tank for 3 weeks and give them a start. I raised all 10 and added them to my 100L. A delight,
Same as this really, eggs into a Tupperware floating in the tank with an airline providing some movement and some alder cones to protect from fungus. 100 percent water change every day. Once the eggs hatch leave them in the Tupperware until they’ve used up their yolk sack and then into a ziss breeder trap where I can then begin feeding.

I used a hang on the side breeder box and then connected a piece of airline to the outflow of my filter, which continually flowed water into the box which spills back into the tank. Added almond leaf, and a baby cherry shrimp for clean up.

I have had panda Cory's breed in a planted tank.

Once they start they breed near enough every water change

Many thanks

Chris

Stupid newbie question, but how do you do a 100% water change when you have tiny eggs of fry in a Tupperware? I'm always trying to avoid disturbing them or sucking them up or pouring them out.

Hi all,
Stupid newbie question, but how do you do a 100% water change when you have tiny eggs of fry in a Tupperware? I'm always trying to avoid disturbing them or sucking them up or pouring them out.
Just with some air-line tubing, so it has very low suction and a narrow bore.

I always add a wodge of moss to the breeder box as well and you can syphon through this.

Syphon the water into a container (just in a case you get any eggs of fry picked up) and have a transfer pipette ready to transfer them back into the container.

<"Transfer pipettes"> are really useful.

cheers Darrel

You quite often find the odd cory will spring up out of nowhere if you have a well planted tank. Breeding is what happy cories do and the odd one survives without any intervention.

Once they get going you’ll find they spawn quite regularly. My duplicareus are currently going through a period where they’re spawning at least once a week. Keep up heavy feeding and large water changes and they should keep laying eggs.

Back