• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anybody use this Chinese External CO2 reactor?

Magoo

I'm currently using the Qanvee inline CO2 diffuser. It works well enough but the bubbles it generates is becoming tiresome to look at. I'm planning to shift to an external reactor but I just don't have the inclination or time to source the parts for a DIY project. Has anybody try this reactor? What are your thoughts?

IMG_0509.PNG

Well going of the pics my initial thoughts are 🥳🥳🥳🥳, even check to see if I could get one/two off ebay, that could be converted into a venturi feed CO2 reactor very easy IMO
Having a needle value on the CO2 feed is great also.

It looks almost identical to my DIY fluidized sand bed filter I made a few years back.
If it doesn't work out as CO² reactor you could reconnect it in reverse and use it as a fluidized sand bed filter.

What modifications would you make?

Well going off the pic only.
I would just make a ventri adaptor to fit on the
Just checked out the conversion rate
1612605406410.png

Well worth a try IMO, I would like to get my hands on one and try it out.

I would make a DIY Ventri like @Hanuman did for his CO2 reactor from basic tube connectors (pics of Hanumans below)
1612620018485.png
1612620094863.png

1612620039025.png

Fit this pre CO2 reactor as far away from the CO2 reactor as possible.
Heres Hanumans reactor
1612620803230.png

Although most folk use an inlet for the CO2 (blue cross on pic) I don't think it is necessary 'if' using a ventri to recirculate the CO2 in the influx of water via the venturi esp if not using an atomiser in the reactor. So I would 'Tee' into the return feed to the venturi and have a check valve between the 'Tee' and the CO2 regulator.

The needle valve on top of the 'new CO2 reactor in link' I would use to control the return flow to the venturi.

That is what I would do, I fully believe it would work but have not tried it.

If anyone finds we can get it imported please post ands I will get one also ;)

So far mine is working great. Venturi is working like a charm and CO2 is being recirculated back into reactor when the CO2 in the chamber reaches the preset level. There are two small mods I would do to mine though:
1 - to make it slightly taller. I do see some bubbles being sucked out to the outtake. Not many though.
2 - use rigid tubing for the purge ports that go down into the reactor but impossible to find that type of tubing where I live.

Here are a few high res pictures for the posterity.
IMG_4959.jpg
IMG_4997.JPG
IMG_4983.jpg

IMG_5046.jpg
IMG_5049.jpg
IMG_5048.jpg
IMG_5047.jpg

And the video:

Last edited:
I wonder... Why not put an inline diffuser into the water in line, wouldn't the smaller bubble diffuse faster??

I wonder... Why not put an inline diffuser into the water in line, wouldn't the smaller bubble diffuse faster??

Yes, and smaller bubbles get pushed further down in flow of water in reactor and can end up in return to tank so need taller reactor 😬😬😬, so bigger bubbles in reactor give a bubble free tank

Yes, and smaller bubbles get pushed further down in flow of water in reactor and can end up in return to tank so need taller reactor 😬😬😬, so bigger bubbles in reactor give a bubble free tank
That is interesting to know, thanks. (I am planning an internal reactor connected to a powerhead/circulator and was not sure if connecting the CO2 tubing to the venturi air in nozzle would work best, or if I would need some kind of diffuser. Different to the reactor being discussed here but the principle would be exactly the same.)

Just found this tube connector. Would this work as a venturi or do you need the 1/4 CO2 pipe to stick out inside the larger pipe with the bevel facing away from the flow?

does it have a constriction?
1613296898624.png

Without a constriction its a no go, although you could fit it with an insert to make a constriction, glue it in place and then drill thought it ;)

Although with second thoughts the fitting is the constriction so Yes it should work, great find :thumbup:, what sizes do they do?

does it have a constriction?
View attachment 162797
Without a constriction its a no go, although you could fit it with an insert to make a constriction, glue it in place and then drill thought it ;)

Although with second thoughts the fitting is the constriction so Yes it should work, great find :thumbup:, what sizes do they do?
Cheers.
I think it’s just 1/2” with a 1/4 inlet.

Back