• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any tips for HC DSM?

Julian

Hi guys and girls!

Like the topic says, I'm just after a few tips using the dry start method as I'd like to have a go at growing a carpet of HC.

My current attempt at growing HC submersed has worked out quite well. Around 6 months ago I planted it stem by stem then flooded the tank straight away, I wasn't aware of the DSM at this point but it worked never the less. I don't quite have a full carpet yet, I had a bit of a diatom outbreak which made some of the leafs turn brown and die off so it's looking quite patchy. I've noticed some new growth which is the most amazing bright green colour so I know it'll only be a matter of time before it spreads out.

While I wait for that to happen, I've got some spare kit laying around so I might as well make use of it. I have a 30L nano tank, some brand new ADA Amazonia and a TMC Mini 400 LED light.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read, the idea is that you fill the tank with water just below the substrate level, carefully place your plants, seal the top of the tank and mist every day or so with de-chlorinated water.

Seems simple enough... almost too simple! Is there anything here that I'm over looking?

I'm aware that the whole point of covering the tank is to keep it humid and create a sort of 'green house' effect, but will this happen without any additional heating? The tank is going to be in my bedroom where it's roughly 20 degrees so I'm not quite sure if this will be warm enough to create the required humidity. My tank has a sump/filter system at the back (Aquanano 30) so I'm wondering if I could if I fill this with water, stick a heater in there and set it to about 26 degrees to create the required humidity.

I've also read that it's a good idea to replace the water beneath the substrate once a month to prevent mold from forming, any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

Back