• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any thoughts on deficiency?

Abcdefg

Hi,

Im just wondering if anyone has any advice on what kind of deficiency this could be... yellowing and translucent leaves as well as holes.

The tank did go on a bit of a co2 and light holiday whilst I acclimatised some fish and shrimp. And I also overdosed some betel nut extract to get rid of suspected planaria which turned out not to be planaria.

I'm now back to what I am hoping is a reasonable level of co2 and light and the monte Carlo I have is responding well and greening and growing. Other plants however, hair grass, styrogyne repens and pygmy chain sword aren't doing so great. I also have translucent / blue hued tips on Java ferns, and a ludwigia palustris which used to be one of my favourite features has almost entirely melted.

I'm dosing EI certs from an apf ei starter kit

And using 100% RO water, remineralised using salty shrimp GH +

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

IMG_20170214_090751888.jpg

IMG_20170214_090858069.jpg

IMG_20170214_090912777.jpg

IMG_20170214_090929790.jpg

IMG_20170214_090958268.jpg

IMG_20170214_091010946.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,
Pin-holes in older leaves are usually caused by potassium (K) deficiency.

You can discount CO2 for the Amazon Frogbit, and the new leaves look fine. I'd probably just keep things the same for a while and see what happens.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Pin-holes in older leaves are usually caused by potassium (K) deficiency.

You can discount CO2 for the Amazon Frogbit, and the new leaves look fine. I'd probably just keep things the same for a while and see what happens.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel,

So the K should be being provided by the EI starter kit shouldn't it?, if I don't see an improvement over the next week or two should I up the dose at all?

Thanks!

Hi all,
So the K should be being provided by the EI starter kit shouldn't it?
It definitely should be.
if I don't see an improvement over the next week or two should I up the dose at all?
I'd keep looking at the Amazon Frogbit, if the new leaves are relatively large and dark green things should improve for the other plants.

The red markings on the Frogbit leaves occur at higher light levels, so I don't think light should be an issue.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all, It definitely should be. I'd keep looking at the Amazon Frogbit, if the new leaves are relatively large and dark green things should improve for the other plants.
cheers Darrel

Thanks,

I'll keep an eye in it all to see if it improves

Much appreciated!

Back