• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any salvaging my 60-P?

Veridius

A while back, my brand new ADA Cube Garden 60-P cracked on the base due to forgetting to place a soft surface underneath (a very expensive and painful lesson learnt). I have since replaced the tank but still have the old cracked 60-P. The crack runs parallel with the longest edge of tank, right down the center, end to end. Is there any sense in trying to fix this tank up by replacing or patching the cracked base panel? It's such a nice tank and I havent had the heart to throw it away but I have decided that I either need to get rid of it or do something with it. Im not sure I would trust myself (or whatever DIY creation) if filled even if I did repair it properly. Im looking for suggestions on what the best course of action would be in my situation. Dump? Repair? Repurpose? Recyle? Let me hear your suggestions!

Silicone and duct tape? Repurpose as a terrarium or emmersed plant grow out. Probably what I’d do.
I like the idea of potentially turning it into a terrarium. By 'emmersed plant grow out', do you mean using the tank to grow aquatic plants terrestrially for later use?

I like the idea of potentially turning it into a terrarium. By 'emmersed plant grow out', do you mean using the tank to grow aquatic plants terrestrially for later use?
Yes, I like having a grow out/ back up for rare or hard to find species, in case something in my main tank goes wrong.

Go for the terrarium / Vivarium idea mate. This is my 90cm tank repurposed as I don’t have time for an aquarium.

Set up this week, it waters itself and once stuff starts growing, it will become home to a few frogs. (I’m happy to PM if you want further info or advice)

A 60P would make a lovely little system.

Cheers,
Chris.

image.jpg

Definitely go with repurposing, whilst mine isn't a repurposed aquarium, plenty of people do that. Some even turn them on their sides and silicone a small piece of glass to what was the top but is now the front, and make open fronted paludariums. You can scape them just the same but with different plants :) Dendroboard is my go to place for these kinds of things.

I've done it a few times, as @John q describes above. It doesn't matter if you can't do neat silicone as it will be hidden by the substrate. You can hide the front edge if necessary with a trim strip of wood or other material.

I'd go with John q & Sparky above, 3mm glass would be thick enough, or thin perspex, I've used thin stiff plastic in the past.

Is putting a new glass base ontop of the existing, as detailed above, going to cause the same issue? As the new glass would be sitting on something rigid?

Get a piece of glass cut for the base, add it on top, silicone around the edges and cary on regardless 😉
I had wondered at this but as mentioned in the OP I'm not sure I could ever trust the tank if I did it myself. I actually have a 60 f (same dimensions but shallower) that I could pinch the base from if I really needed the glass... are there any tutorials/previous posts on here detailing how people have done this before? Otherwise, I think terrarium sounds like it could be a good shout. Appreciating the suggestions all.

Why bother though. You have bought a premium product, that is unfortunately now damaged.
Why spoil it further by patching it up and then having to potentially cover your work because it’s not neat etc..
surely repurposing is a greater way of getting the most out of it. Without spoiling the aesthetic.

Last edited:
Back