• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

any gaming pc boffins

sa80mark

My son is wanting a gaming pc and ive been offered one and need to know if its any good ?

When its comes to computers my knowledge stops at how to turn it on and off :(

Windows 7 ultimate
8 gig ram
500 ghd
Cpu 620 2 core

This will be his first gaming pc hes only 13 so it doesn't need to be the dogs dangly bits just needs to be capable of playing games like battlefield 2 etc

I play PC games a lot and know computers!! You haven't listed what graphics card it has and what games he is wanting to play!! Without these it will be difficult to advise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

£75 with 22 inch monitor, apparently it was custom built 18 months ago and is direct x 11 compliant, what ever that means

£75 is a decent price, but you'll definitely want to add a standalone graphics card - assuming the "620 2 core" is an Athlon X4 620 then the integrated HD4200 graphics capabilities are pretty rudimentary, so I'd want to spend about the same amount again on a graphics card to augment it. Find out what the motherboard is if you can so we can check it's got a PCI-E slot.

Brilliant thanks tom I will give him a ring tonight and find out what it is

Mark

Just got a text reply from him

" im not sure of the brand but it has 1 mini pci slot and 2 standard pci slots "

Im not sure if that helps any ?

Is that good or bad ? One thing I have learnt today is I hate computers :) you have a learn a new language to understand then lol

If they are legacy eBay will be your friend!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Good stuff, so presuming I get a new card and it is a simple plug in job, is it pretty much plug and play or is there much setting up involved

Nope just a CD or download of drivers. Then make sure you keep it clean ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Another bit of advice that may help is some of the cheaper cards are multimedia and not really designed for gaming. You would be better finding an older top of the line card than a new one as youll get more bang for your buck. An nvida 9800gtx or the like should do the job and wont break the bank

Back