• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias Sp. Bonsai / Petite

justissaayman

Hello All

For some reason and two pots later I cannot keep this plant alive. Is there a special way of keeping it or handling it?

What happens is I tie it to the stone/roots/wood with cotton thread like all my Java Fern and Anubias Sp. Nana but the leaves gradually fall off...

I have now tried this in a low tech (20w T8) tank and my Easy Carbo / Profito / 36W T8 (?) tank to no avail.

The A. bonzai, petite, mini ......... whatever they're called .........should prove no different to grow, than your standard A. nana (of which they're probaply all variations). I've done most of them finding no difference in how to grow'em, only in final size and shape of leaves after grown immersed for a longer time (years).
Mick.

With every risk of being misunderstood.......... are your specimens sound and healthy when bought ?
Mick

Yes. Buy all my plants from Aquadip, who also supply Practical Fish keeping sometimes and I buy when they come in so they are fresh and stunning. The nana has lasted but the bonsai just doesnt last

Hmmm - kind of intriquing..........but I'm clueless then, sorry :(
Mick.

Hello there,

I had the same problem, the plant just disintegrated after about two weeks and I was left with one little bit of the rhizome with three or four leaves. I left it alone and although the remaining plant did not die off it basically did nothing for 10 months. However in the last few months it has suddenly started growing and the rhizome has grown about 2 - 3 cm in length and the plant has added about 1 cm in height with the addition of 7 new leaves and is beginning to look quite healthy.

I have recently stopped using any CO2 gas (Technical Issues) and have only continued dosing liquid ferts and liquid carbon, I have also recently cut my lighting back from 8 - 10 hours to between 4 - 6 hours.

I have had similar issues with plants in the past were they do nothing or very little or in fact die back after planting only to suddenly start growing several months later.

I suppose the moral is "hang in there".

Bahrah

First of all the bonsai and petite are two different cultivates. I've both and the petite has leaves the size of a pinky nail and the bonsai more like the nail of my thumb. The petite also grows slower although they are in the same tank receiving about the same amount of light. No special care compared with other Anubias species IME. But working in an lfs I can tell you there is a huge difference in nurseries. We receive the same plants from different nurseries but some die within a week other flourish for a few weeks, no other differences. But like bahrah said, as long as the rhizome is intact, you can wait till new leaves are produced.

Back