• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias Rhizome

I bought some miniature Anubias a while back which I’ve just moved into a different tank. They have grown ok and look reasonably healthy but they don’t appear to have an obvious Rhizome compared to my larger Anubias? Couple of pics. They will eventually be anchored onto something in a new tank.

B1A4E9A9-05D6-4190-8622-E869A4FA083D.jpeg
BA1DFC64-394E-4689-9E81-3077A06A5D5D.jpeg

Hi all,
obvious Rhizome compared to my larger Anubias?
They look really nice and healthy. I don't try and fix mine to anything anymore I just let them float around. If you have some thin branchy wood you may be able to feed it through the gaps in the rhizome mass, a bit like a kebab.

I think one of the reasons some of these Anubias barteri cultivars are small is that they have very short internodes, so it takes a long time for them to grow much "stem".

cheers Darrel

Thanks for that Darrel. I’ve had them since last year sometime and they have put out more leaves and roots so I guess they must be reasonably happy.

You’re right, the miniaturised versions of Anubias are so congested and dense that it’s difficult to identify the rhizome. But you can simply attach the roots to wood or rock.

You can use ordinary Superglue to attach Anubias to bits of wood. I’ve never tried it with rock, but it might work.

I believe Superglue hardens to an inert substance, so it’s completely safe.

Just apply a dab of glue to a root, and stick to the wood. Don’t use too much glue because it goes white when submersed, which looks a bit pants.

Oh, and obviously when using Superglue, be careful not to get your fingers stuck. Or you’ll end up as a permanent part of your tank’s hardscape!

Yes I’ve done this with other Anubias and you’re right, too much SG doesn’t look very nice! I switched to using green sewing thread for some jobs like anchoring Moss.

Back