• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias leaking bubbles?

Basviola

This is not my video, but I see this very often in my tank... lately I seen this even on a C. Affinis leave. But normally its on anubias. Bubbles "normally" comes from a leaf, but I have allso seen it from the rhizome.

What is this? Some kind of deficiency?

Hi @Basviola

Is it perhaps minor damage to the plant? I've seen this in my tanks and it's normally the result of the slightest amount of damage.

JPC

Well ok... I must be very rough on my plants. But amazing how it keeps cumming out of the plant for hours to full days. What is it, oxygen or co2?

Hi all
What is it, oxygen or co2?
It is oxygen. When plants are photosynthesising they produce an excess of oxygen which (in C3 plants) can interfere <"with CO2 uptake by the chloroplasts">.

Most of that oxygen diffuses out, into the water, through the stomata, but a proportion fills the <"air spaces and internal "plumbing" of the plant">. If you have a small hole in the cuticle of the plant, which connects to this internal oxygen store, then the oxygen bubbles out through the hole.
But amazing how it keeps cumming out of the plant for hours to full days.
It keeps on going because the plant is photosynthesising and continually replenishing that internal oxygen supply.

You can see the bubbles because the water is at, or near, 100% oxygen saturation.

Plants also store the CO2 (from respiration) during "lights off", but in that case the water won't be anywhere near saturated with CO2, so you don't get visible bubbles.

cheers Darrel

Thanks you very much Darrel for the explanation and links... I love this forum more and more.

Who needs a newspaper theise says with a community like this?

Back