• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias Deficiency ?

MichaelJ

Hello,

I noticed that some of my really old Anubias leaves are developing what looks like deficiency symptoms? It's all those yellowing dots / patches I am talking about and I only see it on old leaves - new growth looks excellent.

I'm dosing very lean in my low-tech tanks, so I suspect I might have to increase something.... I am suspecting Potassium or Manganese.

DeficencyAnubias.jpg

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I'm guessing if this is only effecting old leaves we can rule out iron and manganese because neither are very mobile in the plant. Potassium? not sure but it's a possibility.
Yes John I think your right.. strangely it’s only some of my Anubias - nothing on my swords, crypts, buces etc. must say some of these leaves are really old, quite frankly … perhaps the leaves are just being retired from old age to give room for new growth.

Cheers,
Michael

Hello,

I noticed that some of my really old Anubias leaves are developing what looks like deficiency symptoms? It's all those yellowing dots / patches I am talking about and I only see it on old leaves - new growth looks excellent.

I'm dosing very lean in my low-tech tanks, so I suspect I might have to increase something.... I am suspecting Potassium or Manganese.

View attachment 219908

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Michael
this is not an easy diagnosis because first of all these symptoms can be caused by several factors other than nutrients Deficiencies/Toxicities. you also have to look at other plants as well and see if they are also suffering from similar symptoms.
if we were to guess which Deficiency is seen here in this Picture? then it is highly likely related to Micros, especially Zinc.

this is not an easy diagnosis because first of all these symptoms can be caused by several factors other than nutrients Deficiencies/Toxicities. you also have to look at other plants as well and see if they are also suffering from similar symptoms.
if we were to guess which Deficiency is seen here in this Picture? then it is highly likely related to Micros, especially Zinc.

Quite possibly I've been way too skimpy on my micro dosing for quite a while (in this tank I use NilocG Plantex CSM+B) - it seems to work for the other plants though as I only see this anomaly on the old Anubias leaves. The tank is very densely planted with Anubias, Swords, Crypts, Buces and an assortment of random plants and mosses. Quite the hodgepodge 🙂 ... I will trim off the unsightly leaves in question on my next round of maintenance (they wont recover anyway) and be a little bit more generous with my micros.

In any event, given the age of these plants I think plant senescence is probably a contributing factor as well. Nothing lasts forever.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hello @MichaelJ! Hope this finds you well! I've a very similar thing happening to my Anubias. They get a lot of yellow dots and the come a lot of holes. Have you figured out what is wrong with yours? Let me share with you how mine looks like

Attachments

• IMG_4125.jpeg
    IMG_4125.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Back