• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another noob Walstad thread.

Compo

Seedling
Mods, please feel free to salt this to its proper forum if this 'un isn't right.

Hi all, I'm Neal, but you can call me Compo.
I'm new to UKAPS, but not to aquaria - though it's been a few years since the last one.
Where to start?
I've had several aquaria over the years, none of which lasted cos of never settling (Oh, the life of a dissipated wastrel!!).
Now, though, I'm in a situ where a tank is likely to be extant for some time.
Although volume-wise you could consider it a medium tank @ 113L/24.5G, dimensionally it's small @ 60L x 45W x 45H/24" x 18" x 18"
I'd like to dip into Walstad, but having no access to garden soil, I'm thinking of using Levington Organic Blend Top Soil @ £9 for 20L - any thoughts or suggestions on that?
I'd like a native tank so planting British Water Plants, not marginals but fully immersed, is preferred; What species would I be looking at?
Obviously I'd be stocking it as a British species tank, but having already gone through some of the forums here, I'm getting slightly disheartened cos tank length really seems to be an issue.
As I'm semi disabled and somewhat isolated among my peers, moving larger fish on from my tank would be a major issue, so Perch, Tench, Minnow et al. seem to be a no-no. Even Sticklebacks appear to be on the cusp.
Any advice on this subject would be gratefully accepted, including telling me it's nowt but a pipe-dream and to bugger off back to Tropicals . . . :D

Thanks in advance,
Compo x

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS.

I'm a great <"Diana Walstad fan">, but it is worth bearing in mind that she has changed some of her methodology <"https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/walstad-revises.42988/"> since the <"Ecology of the Planted Aquarium"> was published.
I'm thinking of using Levington Organic Blend Top Soil @ £9 for 20L - any thoughts or suggestions on that?
Personally I probably wouldn't and ideally you need to avoid anything with any <"green (garden) waste compost component">. If you do use it, I'd go for a fairly thin layer. People often use <"Westland Aquatic soil">.

Have a look at <"Soil Substrate or Dirted Tank - A How to Guide">.
I'd like a native tank so planting British Water Plants, not marginals but fully immersed, is preferred; What species would I be looking at?
<"There are a few">. <"Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum)"> is one I use a lot. This is the <"Flowgrow database set to Europe">. If you want some moss? I have a "moss mountain".

moss-jpg-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Back