• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another new member

Dan-CR4

Hello

My names Danny, I have had my aquarium nearly 2 years, its a juwel vision 180 (180 litres) and lighting is 1x 25w Arcadia original tropical & 1x 25w Arcadia Freshwater. Tank has a sand substate with 3 pieces of bogwood. I also got a Fire Ext co2 system and dosing with EI macro and micro.

So far the plants include Java Fern, Anubias Barteri, Christmas Moss, Twisted vallis. I have had quite a few plants in between and although the plants listed above are doing ok, some really aint working in my tank, (no doubt my fault for buying the wrong plants suitable for my setup) :crazy: . I know the lights are not strong but im hoping to change my tank within the next month or two to an NDAquatics tank that will give me about an extra 80 litres and I will hopefully be able to get better lighting.

Im really looking for some help to get me started in the right direction and some help in choosing some plants I can have in my current tank that will grow quite well, was recommended here as the place to be for planted tanks. hopefully one day I will have a nice looking aquarium like those that I have seen here.

Tank mates include :

2x Keyhole Cichlid
3x Bolivian Rams
2x Apistogramma Cacatuoides
1x Apistogramma Borelli
6x Rummynose Tetra
3x Siamese Algae Eater
1x Molly
1x Balloon Molly

Hello Danny, I'm new here (and to planted aquariums) too. Can I ask what you mean when you say some plants aren't working for you? What are you using for filtration/flow? I ask because many of my initial problems were to do with insufficient circulation. Also, just out of interest, can I ask why you changed from the intial 2 x 35w high-lite tubes that come with the tank? Are your tubes in the original light unit or a different one? If its the original you should be able to get stronger light just by replacing the tubes.

Sorry for all the questions! :D

Viv

Hi Dan, welcome to the forums :)
I'm new too but feel free if you need any help/advice!

thanks to all for the welcomes, it does seem friendly here.

Viv said:
Hello Danny, I'm new here (and to planted aquariums) too. Can I ask what you mean when you say some plants aren't working for you? What are you using for filtration/flow? I ask because many of my initial problems were to do with insufficient circulation. Also, just out of interest, can I ask why you changed from the intial 2 x 35w high-lite tubes that come with the tank? Are your tubes in the original light unit or a different one? If its the original you should be able to get stronger light just by replacing the tubes.

Sorry for all the questions! :D

Viv

The older juwel visions come with T8 light units, so thats why I only have 2x 25w, a new T5 light unit is nearly £100 without tubes and would rather put that towards a new tank in the new year. The filter I got is an external All pond solutions 1000, not great flow when media is inside so have added into the tank a 1200 lph powerhead plus the filter.

im hoping to get a new tank with better lighting after the christmas closedown.

I see! Thanks for answering :) I was lucky with my lights - had someone contact me with the offer of a T5 unit for £35 when they saw I was selling the old T8 one :D

Viv

Back