• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another Hydor Heater Failure...

An update on this, hydor now have my heater away for testing and also have a list of my stock that I lost. They also offered me an internal 300w heater as a replacement free of charge, but it's not really necessary since their last heater killed everything in the tank so I don't really have a requirement for a heater at the moment… lol. Will see what their "engineers" come back with :)

Thats good progress I suppose. I hope you added 10x Zebra plecos :lol:

@Claire - I know it's not much consolation to you now, but that looks like pretty good customer service, at least they're looking into it. Will be interesting to see the outcome anyway. Just take the heater whether you use it or not, you can always sell it on.

@Nathaniel Whiteside - Don't be silly, she didn't just have 10 zebras, she had 5 breeding pairs :lol:

Well this was a long time ago! Have FINALLY got resolution with Hydor over the matter after sending the heater to Italy for an obviously vigorous testing taking over 3 months haha. But have now been offered £100 in compensation and free equipment from them to the value of £100. I am no longer in freshwater having moved to the salty dark side, but may get some koralia pumps and a controller to replace my ageing newaves.
Just thought I would update you all as even though it took a while (a LOOONG while) I did get something out of them which gives them credibility in my eyes. Some companies would have shrugged their shoulders as it was out of warranty and said "tough luck"!
I don't know how the external heaters are going these days - there was a faulty batch came out a few months ago that wouldn't heat, but I hope that's been resolved now? Doubt I'm going to be getting heaters off them anyways though haha. Once bitten twice shy and all that… :)

Forgot to say I'm now running 2 eheim jagers off of an STC-1000 - no corners getting cut on the marine tank.
Since there was a little interest in the subject, here are a couple of shots of the tank now (I'm saying "the tank" like it's the same one, but it actually grew a little bit in between times… :p )
DSC_0079_zps4beb9fa0.jpg

DSC_0065_zpsde04eec8.jpg

DSC_0042_zps4e0df929.jpg

DSC_0041_zps3102c5e9.jpg

Last edited:
Well this was a long time ago! Have FINALLY got resolution with Hydor over the matter after sending the heater to Italy for an obviously vigorous testing taking over 3 months haha. But have now been offered £100 in compensation and free equipment from them to the value of £100. I am no longer in freshwater having moved to the salty dark side, but may get some koralia pumps and a controller to replace my ageing newaves.
Just thought I would update you all as even though it took a while (a LOOONG while) I did get something out of them which gives them credibility in my eyes. Some companies would have shrugged their shoulders as it was out of warranty and said "tough luck"!

Thanks for letting us know, good to know how it got resolved!

and... gorgeous pics!

What a mare:(...Mine started to leak...so being inquisitive I opened it up, and the thermostat sensors are just wires with soldered ends shoved in to the heating element and held in place with grease. If they aren't placed in all the way the temp reading can be many degrees higher than the actual heater setting. And I'm guessing that during cleaning etc they can eventually work loose and boil your tank...
I've done the same as mine was leaking, the grease you saw I think is thermal paste(I only know this as I've repaired the ylod on the ps3 rather than bin it:D). I put our hydor back together fixed the leak but then it wouldn't heat took it apart now it's sensing the temp again so I think I may need some paste maybe? Hydors in a tuppaware tub wait for me to be bothered.:) can't stand this one in the tank it's hurting my eyes.

I've put mine back together now, it's working better than when I first got it before it leaked. So if anyone's ever leaks if you or someone you know or you can use silicone and a screw driver.... Don't throw it away. I also found the intermittent problem, it was a bad solder joint from the sensor wire.:D

I have had issues with these heater also. My first one was probably 4years old when it overheated at night and left me with fish soup killing 99% of my livestock. I had about 12 Gold Laser Cory's which died first as they had less oxygen at the bottom. The cost of them alone to me was more than the tank itself.

I replaced it with another in Nov 2019 and it has just packed in heating three weeks ago. I have it unplugged now and the original Juwel heater inside the aquarium.

I have emailed Hydor twice about it over the past two weeks and I haven't heard back from them once. How long was it before they came back to any of you?

Looking at the JBL it's the same heater as the Chinese one which is similar to the Hydor. Any bets the Chinese firm makes them for JBL/Hydor or whoever the buyer. They even use the same plastic mould for the heater housing. The only one I can see that looks different is the ISTA one.

Still haven't heard back from Hydor. Have they gone bust?

:D I ordered a JBL in-line Heater and temperature controller. Personally, a temperature controller is a must imo for any heater.

Agree completely - it always amazes me that people willingly risk potentially hundreds of pounds worth of livestock to a pennies-in-the-pound cheapo thermostat built into the average heater.

Back