• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Angels breeding - 3rd one worry

Chris Tinker

Soooo I must be doing something right, first my ramps successfully made little fry (eventually got eaten but they made it past eating their own eggs)

Now my angels are at it!!!

Pictures of eggs, eggs are pretty high up so worried about water changes, can the eggs be taken out off water? Or do they have to stay submerged?

My main concern is my 3rd angel all 3 have been ok, but just seen huge movement in the tank which led me to finding the eggs.

My poor blue angel looks to be the 3rd wheel, I assume for his safety I need to remove him?
20201201_180546.jpg
20201201_180538.jpg
20201201_180143.jpg

choices are
Remove the 3rd and end up with lots of baby angels
Add more so No3 isn’t getting bullied and the will pick off the fry if there are enough of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before committing to angelfish breeding consider if your prospective parents are actually suitable breeding stock, and then if their fry will be marketable (colors, fin types) - do you have a local shop that will sell them on, do you want to sell them on yourself, do you want to commit to all the care required to produce excellent quality juvenile angelfish
(LOTS & LOTS of clean water and suitable foods, especially live foods are excellent, also the tank space)

Angelsplus still has an Article List

though it’s compressed and missing all the great photos and video (site hacks and upgrades), there are still some photos of nice (stunning) angels if you wander through the Fish Store and Blog and YouTube

Unfortunately The Angelfish Forum (original and version 2) seems to have been lost ... hopefully that history resides somewhere in book form
Finarama is still hosted but needs a member sign in (should be simple and worth the effort, though it’s original focus was more on wild fish)

Pictures of eggs, eggs are pretty high up so worried about water changes, can the eggs be taken out off water? Or do they have to stay submerged?
Eggs need to remain submerged (though you can safely move them to another tank - except it’s way more fun to observe the parents raising their fry, and a lot easier to let them do much of the work)

Parents will often move the eggs anyway, or indulge in a “caviar” snack, or a wigglers snack, or a free swimming fry snack ... while some parents get it all right on the first go, others take several attempts (even dozen plus), and a “couple” may divorce amicably or with extreme rancour or remain paired through years

Just relax and enjoy and consider how you’d like this to go

And leave a dim night lite on for the couple - and later the fry, to keep them from “going to ground” in the substrate at night (I think one of my worst fish experiences was watching those tiny baby angels that had gone deeper into the substrate spaces and then could not find their way out in the morning - couldn’t move the gravel without crush injuries so just had to watch them slowly stop moving
This was quite a small gravel and I couldn’t believe they’d wiggled their way in - I guess when it’s leaf litter, it’s a great way to escape predation, and find food)

I don’t recall the size of your tank, but if you want to keep more than a couple angels, I’d do a group of 6-7 so no one gets overly bullied

Last edited:
My tank is 300ltrs.

About 6 months ago or so I had 6 angels. I had 1 large solo angel and wanted more so got 5, 1 died within a week, but I never found the body (was there before bed) I then lost another after a few weeks.

Treated the tank for parasites I think it was as noticed some poo was stringy.
Then all seemed fine then about 1 week before this I lost another.

Water changes regular. Water tests showed all was fine, infact too immaculate as I had minimal nitrate for the plants.

I dont have a quarentine tank, so sceptical at buying more since the tank is pretty established, and bringing new ones might bring issues in I can not quarentine for.

I did buy fairly small angels so not sure if they are super delicate, but my big yellow one does seem like a bully.

I was looking all over youtube for videos, but all are really old and hard to watch 🤣

I have a friend that might take my 3rd angel and I might let them try their thing.

I doubt mixing the two would generate a wanted angel 🤔 but I'm not really wanting to do it for the money.

In all honesty more interested in it for my 5 year old to learn a life cycle as shes pretty up on death but not birth 🤣

Carefull, Chris.......
I started exactly this way, about 30 years ago..... and I now have more than 25 different strains of "colour variety angels" and a few "wild type" strains in my breeding programme. Trust me (and Alto!) it really takes a lot of aquarium space and waterchanges and Artemia hatching etc etc.
- but it is ofcourse also A LOT OF FUN......

Back