• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Angelfish in 60l?

InNi2010

Angelfish in 60l possible? I know, not the best question but quite confused, as in some places I've been
hearing that one is fine in 15 gallons and a pair can be kept in a 20 tall breeder whereas in other sites
they suggest 55 gallons minimum. I'm mainly looking forward to the idea of a long term accommodation; along
with the concept that the better the filtration (I can acquire an external canister at the bottom) and more plants to
handle a larger bioload for large fish. I don't mind sticking to frequent water changes and no tankmates

Last edited:
Angelfish in 60l possible? I know, not the best question but quite confused, as in some places I've been
hearing that one is fine in 15 gallons and a pair can be kept in a 20 tall breeder whereas in other sites
they suggest 55 gallons minimum. I'm mainly looking forward to the idea of a long term accommodation; along
with the concept that the better the filtration (I can acquire an external canister at the bottom) and more plants to
handle a larger bioload for large fish. I don't mind sticking to frequent water changes and no tankmates
Definitely not, they can grow quite large. Regardless of how on top you are with water changes a 60l just doesn’t have the space.

The minimum tank size I would say is 90cm long and at least 45cm deep.

Ah I see, now that you say it, I've searched it up and they do grow more taller than large, and taking that into account of my tank, that's almost half the height; without the substrate!! Thanks for enlightening me - I probably would've made a torture hovel at that point :dead:

Glad you seen the light, just to put it in perspective, angelfish is one of my dream fish to try, and I won't even have adult ones in my 90x40x40cm tank, waiting on my 120x50x50cm tank before I finally try them. Adults get very large.

At this point I think I'll just choose a pair of rams and some dithers I guess so does anyone have any idea how to start a biotope community for them?

Last edited:
At this point I think I'll just choose a pair of rams and some dithers I guess so does anyone have any idea how to start a biotope community for them?

I'm not a biotope expert, more of a biotope admirer. I'm not sure of any great resources, but I guess start with checking where your fish inhabit or what body of water etc you're trying to replicate and then go from there. Some people take it to further extremes than others. Some will just say "South American biotope" which is pretty vague as it's a large area, others will be very precise and pick a very specific area as well as go to great lengths to procure as much genuine things from that area as possible. I'll let you decide how far you want to go. I enjoyed some of the Biotope content found Tropical Fish Hub on this channel, hope that helps.

Back