• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Andys 60p

Wrighty

I'll start my journal off by telling you how how I came to getting the 60p.

In December last year I decided I was going to remove the internal filter and heater from my supafish home 60 and replace it with an external so Zarra (my fiance) bought me an oase filtrosmart thermo 100 and ea glassware for xmas.

Fast forward to january and I was extremely lucky and grateful to win Mark Goodwins (aka Geordie Scaper) 1000 subscribers competition. Is he a member here? The prize was some aquavitro tools one of his mugs and a £100 horizon aquatics voucher. I then told myself "you could buy a 60p for £60 here Andy." So the vouchers went towards that.

20210115_120406.jpg

3 weeks ago I went back to see James and Nicole down horizon and bought a twinstar v3 600s, power sand S, amazonia 2, a lovely piece of wood and some plants. Hygrophila pinnatifida, hygrophila aruaguia, cyperus helferi one I can never spell but it the 2nd word is pretoi and some java moss.

This is the tank the day we scaped it.
20210131_184644.jpg

We have attempted to scape the tank like the one Daichi Araki did for GreenAqua. Time will tell how it turns out.

Yesterday I was in horizon again and came home with a co2 art pro SE regulator, inline diffuser, co2 tube and and a drop checker. That's all going on today during a water change. A nice way to spend world aquarium day I think.

alto

Hygrophila pinnatifida, hygrophila aruaguia, cyperus helferi one I can never spell but it the 2nd word is pretoi and some java moss.
I’d suggest adding in a fast growing plant - DA had the E vivipara and H tripartita as fast growers, also the H pinnatifida can be quite quick as well (depending)

I’m guessing you’ve perhaps half the plant mass (as DA) so would definitely include something such as Limnophila sessiliflora (you can leave this in the pot for easy removal) or H zosterifolia - both these plants will begin growing very quickly with almost no transition time

Wrighty

I’d suggest adding in a fast growing plant - DA had the E vivipara and H tripartita as fast growers, also the H pinnatifida can be quite quick as well (depending)

I’m guessing you’ve perhaps half the plant mass (as DA) so would definitely include something such as Limnophila sessiliflora (you can leave this in the pot for easy removal) or H zosterifolia - both these plants will begin growing very quickly with almost no transition time

Thanks Alto. I hate L. sessiflora with a passion. I want to add h tripartita but theres was none in yesterday. I have 3 pots of pinnatifida in here. And also 2 pots of cyperus helferi to go in today.

alto

cyperus helferi
this often has a lag before it really begins growing (and may be a fast to slow grower depending on conditions)

Tropica’s 1-2-Grow H pinnatifida always takes off quickly in my tanks, but again see how yours gets on

Not to hassle, but I see a lightly planted tank with lots of light (Twinstar S) :)
(and really I’m lazy, so want those fast growing stem plants (& shrimp & snails) to do the work for me)
Maybe add some red root floater (it’s much prettier and less aggressive than Limnobium laevigatum) Phyllanthus fluitans - Tropica Aquarium Plants
(I’ve linked Tropica but other suppliers have good plants too)

Wrighty

this often has a lag before it really begins growing (and may be a fast to slow grower depending on conditions)

Tropica’s 1-2-Grow H pinnatifida always takes off quickly in my tanks, but again see how yours gets on

Not to hassle, but I see a lightly planted tank with lots of light (Twinstar S) :)
(and really I’m lazy, so want those fast growing stem plants (& shrimp & snails) to do the work for me)
Maybe add some red root floater (it’s much prettier and less aggressive than Limnobium laevigatum) Phyllanthus fluitans - Tropica Aquarium Plants
(I’ve linked Tropica but other suppliers have good plants too)

Cheers Alto. I'm going to add more plants this week. I spent up on a co2 kit for this tank at the weekend. I also have a dosing pump to set up with a bottle of 2hr aquarist fertiliser.

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
I'd definitely recommend some floating plants as well, they aren't CO2 limited, and they are <"adapted to bright light">, which allows them to make use of any "spare" nutrients.

Ceratopteris "thalictroides" is another good "starter plant".

cheers Darrel

Wrighty

Time for an update.

Over the last 2 weeks I've been battling with cyano bacteria, diatoms, brown dust algae on the glass, another algae that had coated most of the hardscape and plants in a dark sludge and finally a long stringy algae. Oh and the 2 cyperus helferi I planted turned to mush.

After getting a bottle of ADA Phyton git from horizon aquatics I treat the cyano by spot dosing it and it was gone in 2 days. The day after that (sunday) the clean up began. I cleaned the glass first then siphoned up what I could while draining 90% of the water. Next I cleaned the filter sponges whilst our lass cleaned the pipes and glassware. I put the inlet and outlet on the same side when I re fitted them to increase flow around the tank. After all that I realised my co2 regulator was reading zero on both gauges. Turns out dum dum here closed the bottle off for some reason. After all of that I added 2 tropica 1-2 grow pots. One blixa japonica and phyllis fluitans.

Last night after work was time for round 2 of the clean up. I cut a length of air tube and used it to syphon all of the black algae out of the tank. It took me about 1.5 hours, my hands were wrinkly as hell. Lastly i drained it right down, the glass was cleaned inside and out then refilled.

This is the tank now.

20210303_063926.jpg

It's my birthday this weekend so I may go and get some more plants.