• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's "Twisted Wood" UPDATED 10May14

andyh

Hello

Been a bit slow starting the journal, as i have had a lot on with work, but here we go again:

Aquarium - ADA 60P Cube Garden 60Wx36Tx30D, now with ADA cover glass.

Lights – Suspended Arcadia Luminaire 4 x 24w T5, currently running 2 tube for 7hrs per day. 2 x Osram Skywhite 8000k

Filtration and CO2 – Initially only got a Eheim liberty 2042 on the tanks but the will be soon introducing the Eheim Thermo 2324 (Will be using as a CO2 reactor in conjunction with an Up CO2 Atomizer/2kg bottle on the intake of the filter). Currently running in tank Diffuser, old school:woot:
The 2324 has a Seachem Purigen 100ml bag, Carbon and some floss/media in it. CO2 is on 2hrs before lights for a total of 6.5hrs. Drop checker getting a deep green.

Glassware – Cal Aqua 13mm Lily pipes plus crappy green eheim one as i broke my CalAqua intake and i am still sulking. PlusDrop Checker

Substrate – ADA Powersand Special 2ltr, ADA Amazonia Soil 9ltrs

Ferts – ADA Green Gain to start with
After 2 weeks start dosing Tropica Nutrition. Plan to build it up to a proper dose. Start with 3ml.

Hardscape - Manzi Wood Only

Plants:

1. Eleocharis sp.'Mini' Tropica 1-2-Grow x 4 pots
  2. Ammania sp bonsai Tropica 1-2 Grow x 1pot (so much in the pot!)
  3. Alternanthera Reineckii 'Mini' 1-2-Grow x 1 pot
  4. Hydrocotyle Verticillata x 1
  5. Limnophila Hippuridoides x 2
  6. Rotala Sp Green x 2
  7. Anubias Sp 'Petite'' x 2
  8. Cyperus Helferi x 2
  9. Microsorum Sp 'Trident' x 2
Mosses:
  1. Fontinalis Sp 'Willow'
  2. Vesicularia Ferriei 'Weeping'
  3. Taxiphyllum sp 'Spiky'
  4. Fissidens Fontanus
I should get some pics uploaded in the next few days, the tanks been running for about 2 weeks and is going very well.

Thanks for looking

Andyh

Last edited:
So my aim was to create a scape using only manzi wood and dense planting from the start. Going back to more of a nature style scape.
Very photo heavy!

The journey:
10837288344_59d9bff93f_b.jpg
Full tank shot Manzi wood by andyh_2011, on Flickr

10837126095_33d6208c80_b.jpg
Manzi wood by andyh_2011, on Flickr

10837289684_55847e5423_b.jpg
Tropica Plants by andyh_2011, on Flickr

10837201066_9518005b8c_b.jpg
Preparing the Plants by andyh_2011, on Flickr

10837293064_742f19c226_b.jpg
Initial Planting by andyh_2011, on Flickr

10837206346_7360376d61_b.jpg
Water inn by andyh_2011, on Flickr

10837483473_cf390cd3c2_b.jpg
Close up by andyh_2011, on Flickr

10837300404_bc6ab7a2c1_b.jpg
Detail shot by andyh_2011, on Flickr

10837145175_3678781d39_b.jpg
Limnophila H. Starting to grow by andyh_2011, on Flickr

So at this point the tank is about 10 days old:
10837147445_14b1f84b15_b.jpg
Full tank Shot 1 week by andyh_2011, on Flickr

Sorry about the varying quality of pics, its a combo of my iPhone and my new SLR

There are few more pics on my Flickr acc if interested, just click any pic to get access.

Thanks for looking
Andyh

That's looking great Andy, the wood is stunning too! It really does look older than just 10 days, the grass has filled in very quick - will be watching this one :)

cant believe that tank is only 10 days old. great looking tank!

Yeah, starting to look good all the plants showing some growth.
That's looking great Andy, the wood is stunning too! It really does look older than just 10 days, the grass has filled in very quick - will be watching this one :)

Hey Gary, Yes the wood is amazing i have so much of it i didn't know where to start (thanks to Tom Barr). The 1-2-Grow Hair grass is so easy.
Thats some great wood you have there. Fab growth for only 10 days, keep up the good work:thumbup:

Cheers!

Maintenance so Far:
  • Mature filter with Purigen in from day one.
  • ADA Green gain added at start up.
  • Water change every day for first 7 days (Approx. 30%)
  • Then once every other day, then twice a week 50% after that.
  • Day 10 added first small dose of Tropica TPN (3ml)
Thanks
Andyh

Wow, impressing list of plants. I've used 1-2-grow ammania bonsai in my previous scape. There were a lot of tiny plants in one pot. How many stems of alternathera mini in one pot comparing to ammania? I'm thinking about purchasing alternathera for new scape, and would like to know what to expect form one pot.

Very impressed,has the makings of a very natural , mature tank already.:clap:
Like others have said, hard to believe only been running 10 days.

Just shows, get everything right, and away you go.
Speaking from my own experience, i found the growth and quality of 1-2 grow Brilliant.

Incidentally, your Manzi wood looks like one natural piece, which i know its not.
How many individual pieces have you used?
And how are the secured to each other ?

Look forwards to seeing it on my next visit.

Wow, impressing list of plants. I've used 1-2-grow ammania bonsai in my previous scape. There were a lot of tiny plants in one pot. How many stems of alternathera mini in one pot comparing to ammania? I'm thinking about purchasing alternathera for new scape, and would like to know what to expect form one pot.
There was a similar amount of alternathera as bonsai. Plenty in pot, I originally bought two only needed one pot.

Another AndyH classic. :)

Watching.
not sure about that Big G, but thanks for the encouragement.

Incidentally, your Manzi wood looks like one natural piece, which i know its not.
How many individual pieces have you used?
And how are the secured to each other ?

Look forwards to seeing it on my next visit.
7 pieces of wood, used Bonsai wire 1.5mm as recommended by Stu Worrall.

As everybody has said Lovely scape, I particulary like the hard scape look so nature, you'll never have guessed it took 7 pieces to make , given how much work went in to making it I hope you don't mind me saying It almost a shame to hide so much of it in the planting....

As everybody has said Lovely scape, I particulary like the hard scape look so nature, you'll never have guessed it took 7 pieces to make , given how much work went in to making it I hope you don't mind me saying It almost a shame to hide so much of it in the planting....
I have no problem at all Steve:) I was very pleased with the way the hardscape turned out. I agree that its a shame to cover the hardscape but its the same with many of the tanks on here.
I do plan to keep some of the features on show with clever pruning. The plants do help hide some of the joints, so they are also important.

I will be interested to see how the Limnophila Hippuridoides tunrs out:
As above This is what it looks like currently:
10837145175_3678781d39_b.jpg
Limnophila H. Starting to grow by andyh_2011, on Flickr

This picture from Tropica's website shows it in its full glory:

Plant Details

Lets hope it gets there, as the purple looks amazing!

Anybody got any experience with it?

baja6eze.jpg

bamevu2y.jpg

Top is my high-tech bottom is in my low tech. It grows very fast in my high-tech :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

It looks like from your pic its purple towards the top, which suggests to me the light helps promote the purple. Can you tell me how many WPG you have?

Back