• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's Journal "Green Beach" Update 01/03/2013

Hi Andyh,
congratulations on your aquarium! It looks super :thumbup:
I´m having difficulties between choosing a filter with thermo or a simple one and a inline hydor heater... Are you happy with your Eheim Thermo 2324? I'm starting a 60x45x30 (81 Liters). Would you recommend it to me?

Hi I have a thermo enheim and first one was cracked and leaked but got replaced easily enough and happy with it now saves messing about with 2 things I sopose, got mine from zoo plus quite cheap and tank looking awesome mate

Thanks dean

Reactions: CMG
Hi Andyh,
congratulations on your aquarium! It looks super :thumbup:
I´m having difficulties between choosing a filter with thermo or a simple one and a inline hydor heater... Are you happy with your Eheim Thermo 2324? I'm starting a 60x45x30 (81 Liters). Would you recommend it to me?
Sorry for the delay in response, as i am currently working in France. The Eheim 2324 is cracking piece of kit, but remember its rated at 700lph, so probably with media etc be putting out 450-500lph. If you a stickler for the 10x rule it may not be enough. You could consider the newer Eheim 250T (thermo) External Filter (which you can get a cracking price on from The Green Machine at the moment, friend jsut bought one), this is rated at 950lph which might be better suited to your size tank.

Reactions: CMG
Sorry for the delay in response, as i am currently working in France. The Eheim 2324 is cracking piece of kit, but remember its rated at 700lph, so probably with media etc be putting out 450-500lph. If you a stickler for the 10x rule it may not be enough. You could consider the newer Eheim 250T (thermo) External Filter (which you can get a cracking price on from The Green Machine at the moment, friend jsut bought one), this is rated at 950lph which might be better suited to your size tank.

Hi Andyh,
thanks for your response. I'm gonna use ada amazonia powder so i guess arround 600lt/h whitout too mannt fish will be ok and if you tell me it's a well constructed filter, i'm ordering one :)
My last dilema before starting is lightning... After seeing the good results from George Farmer and Ian Holdich. i was about to order a 1550 nd from TMC but just found the Giesemann Teszla's 65W LED!!!! It´s amazingly good looking and usually Giesemann does it well...
All the best,
Cheers

Hi Andyh,
thanks for your response. I'm gonna use ada amazonia powder so i guess arround 600lt/h whitout too mannt fish will be ok and if you tell me it's a well constructed filter, i'm ordering one :)
My last dilema before starting is lightning... After seeing the good results from George Farmer and Ian Holdich. i was about to order a 1550 nd from TMC but just found the Giesemann Teszla's 65W LED!!!! It´s amazingly good looking and usually Giesemann does it well...
All the best,
Cheers
Great filter and well built.

Not seen the giesemen (it's probably good if its geeseman) the 1550nd's do seem the weapon of choice at the moment though!

Hi andy, how's this doing ? Are you gonna spill the beans on your new livestock choice :)
I'll try again :)

Sorry missed your post!

Yes i will spill the beans, i purchased a shoal of Sundadanio axelrodi (blue). They look awesome. Got them from Ripples Aquatics down near Lichfield. No pics yet but i will get some.

Planning to strip this tank down in the coming weeks as i have almost sourced all the bits i need for the new scape.

The livestock will all transfer to my Holding tank and make an appearance once the new tank is scaped and mature.

hi andy, ive noticed you are from Derby, i live just outside of derby in Milford, i am "reasonably" new to the planted tank world " about a year with a "proper" planted tank, but have kept fish for the best part of 15 years"
couple of questions if you dont mind;

1 - do you/have you had any issues with our tap water conditions, i have been unable to control Diatoms in my low tech 125 litre tank, and no matter how many water changes i do, or how heavy i plant the tank the entire thing keeps on been covered in them!
i have a feeling its the silicate in the water and basically wondered whether you have had the same issue, and whether you think phosguard would remove the silicates, but intern the phosphates! so im unsure what to do!

2 - Where did you find the pearl danios?!?! ive been looking for them for an age!!!

3 - where do ou get your tropica plants from? is there a stockist in the area or do you get the delivered?!
sorry for the influx of questions! your tanks look AMAZING! hope you dont mind!

hi andy, ive noticed you are from Derby, i live just outside of derby in Milford, i am "reasonably" new to the planted tank world " about a year with a "proper" planted tank, but have kept fish for the best part of 15 years"
couple of questions if you dont mind;

1 - do you/have you had any issues with our tap water conditions, i have been unable to control Diatoms in my low tech 125 litre tank, and no matter how many water changes i do, or how heavy i plant the tank the entire thing keeps on been covered in them!
i have a feeling its the silicate in the water and basically wondered whether you have had the same issue, and whether you think phosguard would remove the silicates, but intern the phosphates! so im unsure what to do!

2 - Where did you find the pearl danios?!?! ive been looking for them for an age!!!

3 - where do ou get your tropica plants from? is there a stockist in the area or do you get the delivered?!
sorry for the influx of questions! your tanks look AMAZING! hope you dont mind!

Hello and welcome to UKAPS, yes i am from Derby, i live in Chellaston. No problems with the questions.

Answers:

1. No problems with our tap water. Please note i use aqua safe at every water change, not because i am concerned its just habit. Diatoms is not something i have ever suffered with. It is part of a new setup process if the filter is new and hasn't been cycled, a lot of new tanks can suffer with this. I find using a mature filter at start up combined with lots of water changes completely eliminates diatoms. Defo no need for phosguards.

Questions for you?
What kind of filter you got?
Is the filter mature at start up?
What volume of water do you change?
what lights do you have? what type and wattage?
Co2?

2. Pearl danios, collected from one of the ripples aquatics, down towards Lichfield.

3. Tropica plants mostly come from the The Green Machine, as their plant selection is massive and always good quality. Occasionally will buy from other places. Wharf Aquatics carries a very limited range of tropica and if you get there on a saturday morning you get the best choices before they start o get algae covered.

hope that answers your questions, anymore just shout.
andyh

Thanks Andy! I used to live in chellaston! Near the new estate!

I have fluvial 206 with all the foams and ceramics in. I've been told by Clive on here to remove the ceramics to increase the flow!
The filter was mature at start up using a well established tanks media. I do 30-40% w/c weekly and use aqua safe/stress coat on every change!

I only have T8 lighting which gets me about 0.7 wpg ! They are aqua glow in 2 different spectrums advised to me.by Saun at wharf who.is the planted tank "expert"

And as for co2 just diy with 3 2 litre bottles and brewers yeast! Get a steady 3 BPM!

I know there is a place out in swadlincote which stocks tropica! I find that warfs don't have a good range! I tend to go to maiden head at findern garden centre!

How far is green machine!? I was under the impression it was miles away!!

Hope you're well!
Thom

Also! What co2 set up do you use? I have been wanting to build a FE set up but have yet to come across A. Somewhere to buy one and B. Somewhere to refill it!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Thanks Andy! I used to live in chellaston! Near the new estate!

I have fluvial 206 with all the foams and ceramics in. I've been told by Clive on here to remove the ceramics to increase the flow!
The filter was mature at start up using a well established tanks media. I do 30-40% w/c weekly and use aqua safe/stress coat on every change!

I only have T8 lighting which gets me about 0.7 wpg ! They are aqua glow in 2 different spectrums advised to me.by Saun at wharf who.is the planted tank "expert"

And as for co2 just diy with 3 2 litre bottles and brewers yeast! Get a steady 3 BPM!

I know there is a place out in swadlincote which stocks tropica! I find that warfs don't have a good range! I tend to go to maiden head at findern garden centre!

How far is green machine!? I was under the impression it was miles away!!

Hope you're well!
Thom

Hello,

I would suggest that the diy CO2 is not helping, they do not provide a stable supply of CO2. Pressurised CO2 would provide a controlled/quality supply.
Also Clive is right, flow is an important piece of the pie.

Wharfs is hit and miss, when they get a delivery is the time to visit. Their fish are surreal though, one of the best "Fish" shops in my opinion.

Maidnehead is only 10 mins from here, but they have been slipping bait lately in my opinion, but if you time your visit to coincide with their delivery you can do well. The other place that has Tropica plants is Pets at Home, once again they can be hit and miss depending how long they have been in the holding tanks (Its at Kingsway)

TGM is a fair trek, its over in wrexham, i travel a lot so don't mind nipping 70 miles to get all my bits and its well worth a visit.

Also! What co2 set up do you use? I have been wanting to build a FE set up but have yet to come across A. Somewhere to buy one and B. Somewhere to refill it!

I use various parts, JBL Gauges (from Maidenhead, excellent quality), 2Kg, CO2 bottle from TGM.

I get my refills up in the NW.

Cheers
Andyh

Just thought I'd let you know pressurised co2 is on the cards for the next couple of weeks! I have 2 2kg FE's and all the equipment except the reg! I have also got a starter unit to upgrade my lights to 24wt t5's along side the 20wt t8's! I have increase my flow by changing the filter inlet and removing a tray of ceramic media! I have noticed a HUGE difference in growth as well as a decline in diatoms! Thank you for the advice! Hope you're well! Look forward to some updates in the tank!

Back