• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 20-09-11)

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 7/11/10)

Mark Evans said:
andyh said:
The slower growth rates are killing me, i am used to higher energy setups
just like me, your body and mind will suffer 'withdrawals' from the high growth rate attack.
just like a junky, you'll recover, cold turkey style :lol: but it will pass
:lol: Very true
LondonDragon said:
What you guys need is two tanks, one very high tech and fast growing and the other what you have now, that way you have the best of both worlds ;) get those 60cm tanks running!
Already do ! See "Nano Tor" o_O
Mark Evans said:
LondonDragon said:
What you guys need is two tanks, one very high tech and fast growing and the other what you have now, that way you have the best of both worlds get those 60cm tanks running!
but in order to have 2 tanks (for me at least) i first need a new wife, which will let me have 2 tanks. :angelic:
Been there done that :lol:

Look as Good as Ever, How are the Rams.
My Male Electric Died Suddenly for No Reason, The other SB Pairs are Starting to Dig Pits again.

Gill said:
My Male Electric Died Suddenly for No Reason, The other SB Pairs are Starting to Dig Pits again.
Hey Gill, Sorry to hear about your Ram, my 4 are doing really well, albeit you cant see them in the last few pics, they have little dens the Java Fern. They are stunning fish in the flesh :thumbup:

andyh said:
Gill said:
Hey Gill, Sorry to hear about your Ram, my 4 are doing really well, albeit you cant see them in the last few pics, they have little dens the Java Fern. They are stunning fish in the flesh :thumbup:

They sure are stunning fish in the flesh once they have settled into the tank. Pity the prices are so extreme depending on the supplier and LFS mark up. I may try them again once the bigger tank is set up.

Hey guys and gals !

Sorry not been updating for a while! I have been working out of the country and now i am back and happy to say my wife has kept my tank in tip top condition! I will post some pics shortly as i have some new plants in there after my excellent trip to Aquajardin with the gang! Lovely to meet everyone! I car shared with Mark Evans and i am sure i talked his ear off!

Update to follow shortly after i finish my maintenance! :geek:

Cheers

Andy

andyh said:
I car shared with Mark Evans and i am sure i talked his ear off!

i'm still looking for it :lol: Your a top guy mate. good sense of humour. you'd be invited to my wedding any day as the joker :lol:

Mark Evans said:
andyh said:
I car shared with Mark Evans and i am sure i talked his ear off!

i'm still looking for it :lol: Your a top guy mate. good sense of humour. you'd be invited to my wedding any day as the joker :lol:

Cheers Dude! o_O

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 5/12/10)

Update 5th December 2010

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

So I added a few new plants after my recent trip to Aquajardin with the UKAPS guys.

Echinodorus palaefolius var. latifolius- Never tried a big leaf plant before so here we go! (back middle)
Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae- Really like this plant, i have mixed it in amongst the Vallis Nana at the back.
Rotala sp. "green" - Hoping to achieve the hanging growth at the back, next to the Rotala rotundifolia.

The tank is starting to fill in nicely now, i am fighting a little algae here and there nothing to worry about, but under suggestion from Mark i am going to increase the height of my light. To see if that helps.

I also added a pair of Fire Red Viejita Apistogramma's, which are seriously cool :geek:
web.jpg

Thanks for looking

Andyh

russchilds said:
Looks great - so lush and green!! The Cardinals look great and the Fire Red :)

Cheers Russ, yes the cardinals are a classic! :thumbup:

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 5/12/10)

Nice to see your plants picking up. Good growth since my last visit.

Your new plant fits in well, a good focal point. Its certainly established quickly. :clap:
It would appear you have had a up and coming aquariist looking after the tank while you have been away.

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 14/12/10)

bogwood said:
Nice to see your plants picking up. Good growth since my last visit.

Your new plant fits in well, a good focal point. Its certainly established quickly. :clap:
It would appear you have had a up and coming aquariist looking after the tank while you have been away.

Cheers Bogwood! I have really taken a shine to the new Echinodorus palaefolius the rams seem to like to hide under the leaves. This evening i have give it is first prune, it must have 6 or 7 new leaves in the middle, so i have pruned three of the bigger older leaves from the outside. I understand that if pruned this plant retains a more compact growth. (although it may be cool to let it grow out of the surface)

General Update 14/12/2010

The tank is really growing well, now and starting to fill in nicely, just completed a big maintenance on the tank, filters, glassware and trimming of plants. Its going to look good tomorrow when the lights come back on! :geek: :lol:

Couple of things worth mentioning:

1. The CO2 through my eheim 2324 (UP Atomizer on the intake) is working well. I gave the filter a once over tonight and no problems at all. It is working so well! Thanks Mr Farmer for the idea! I also refreshed the carbon in the filter so that should give me crystal clear water again.
2. Increased my EI mix and dosing slightly as my plant mass is getting a lot bigger and i was starting to get a little GSA. So Clive suggested increase my PO4.
3.Also have a little BBA on a few bits of rock and on the tennelus. The prune (allowing more flow) and the filter cleans plus dosing Easy carbo should help clear that up.
4. My Tennelus is not growing as well as i have previously experienced in other tanks, don't know why? Anybody got any ideas

This tank is proving very satisfying, as its getting better with age for me. Yes, i would like to spend a little more time on mainteance and upkeep but having a new baby and traveling a lot with work at the moment makes it a challenge. :thumbup:

Thanks for looking

Andyh

I also added a pair of Fire Red Viejita Apistogramma's, which are seriously cool

May I ask where you got this gem from ?

Amazing tank by the way :)

Hi Andy.

Looking good my man :thumbup:.
andyh said:
2. Increased my EI mix and dosing slightly as my plant mass is getting a lot bigger and i was starting to get a little GSA. So Clive suggested increase my PO4.
Had the same problem about a year ago and got the same advice (from the same man). I've been running double PO4 values since then and haven't had a drop of GSA since, no matter how big the plant mass gets. Still nowhere near his crazy dosing numbers, but it works for me :D.

lil-lynx said:
I also added a pair of Fire Red Viejita Apistogramma's, which are seriously cool
May I ask where you got this gem from ?
Amazing tank by the way :)

Hey yes the apistogramma's where purchased on the recent UKAPS group outing to Aquajardin at Gloucester, where on the day they had arranged special discount on everything. I did get a little carried away :lol: Plants, Fish & Equipment etc. They are very cool indeed, they have paired up now and have there own little den in the Staurogyne down the front. They guard it from the other fish, very interesting to watch as the male is always "showing his colours".
Thanks for your comments about the tank!

CeeJay said:
Hi Andy.
Looking good my man :thumbup:.
andyh said:
Had the same problem about a year ago and got the same advice (from the same man). I've been running double PO4 values since then and haven't had a drop of GSA since, no matter how big the plant mass gets. Still nowhere near his crazy dosing numbers, but it works for me :D.

Hey Dude, how goes it?
Yes i have doubled the PO4 from the original guidelines, the main thing that i have noticed is the plant growth. Everything in the tank seems to be growing at a fair old rate. Clive did mention that the extra PO4 encourages the plants to uptake more NO3. Albeit i have increased the amount of the NO3 slightly too.
When you say "nowhere near his crazy dosing numbers" do you mean you have made your own concentrations? I have to say Clive's seems to be working very well for me :)

As a separate note:
Is it me or is the forum quiet, or is my journal just getting boring? ! :lol: :lol:

Thanks for looking

Andyh

The forum does seem quiet. I'm normally more a watcher than a contributor, but I will try and post more over the Christmas break...

Love the Fire Red Viejita Apistogramma's, I have considered some myself as Aquajardin is my LFS. The rest of the tank looks awesome as well.

Cheers
Paul

Nah, the forums are all quiet lately. Anyone would think it's ADA competition time! I think a lot of our members must have gone AWOL.

Tank looks great, shame about the algae but it's good to see you're back on track. I was once told "if it doesn't hurt, you're probably not learning" I think you can apply that to getting BBA.
I'm dosing massive ammounts on Po4 and have been for a week now and I have to say growth/pearling is noticeably increased, I had no issues however, just thought my stems could be doing better.

They are very cool indeed, they have paired up now and have there own little den in the Staurogyne down the front. They guard it from the other fish, very interesting to watch as the male is always "showing his colours".

Reckon you will have any fry?

Also this meeting is it for anyone, or just certain individuals ?

Thanks

Pixels said:
The forum does seem quiet. I'm normally more a watcher than a contributor, but I will try and post more over the Christmas break...
Love the Fire Red Viejita Apistogramma's, I have considered some myself as Aquajardin is my LFS. The rest of the tank looks awesome as well.
Cheers
Paul
Hey Paul, yeah its good to read, there is so much excellent info here on UKAPS. But i have to admit i enjoy contributing as well so make sure you get joining in. Thanks for the comments and the Apisto's if there your thing they are hard to beat!

Garuf said:
Nah, the forums are all quiet lately. Anyone would think it's ADA competition time! I think a lot of our members must have gone AWOL.
Tank looks great, shame about the algae but it's good to see you're back on track. I was once told "if it doesn't hurt, you're probably not learning" I think you can apply that to getting BBA.
I'm dosing massive ammounts on Po4 and have been for a week now and I have to say growth/pearling is noticeably increased, I had no issues however, just thought my stems could be doing better.

Seasons Greetings Garuf! How goes it mate? I see you have a tank and journal going on now! Its good to see! :geek:

Yeah the forums are defo quiet, and my comments were just out of curiosity and not an attention seeker if you know what i mean. I think you could be right about the ADA competition thing and also doing all the Christmas stuff (eating and drinking).

The Algae was good as it got me off my ass and back into the game as i had not been giving the lounge tank enough love due to work/travel and baby Esme commitments :lol: :lol: But its back on track and the increased dosing has had a positive effect!

lil-lynx said:
They are very cool indeed, they have paired up now and have there own little den in the Staurogyne down the front. They guard it from the other fish, very interesting to watch as the male is always "showing his colours".
Reckon you will have any fry?
Also this meeting is it for anyone, or just certain individuals ?
Thanks

It would be cool to get some fry, but i suspect that they would struggle to survive as they are in a tank with plenty of other bigger fish.

With ref to the meeting it was something "John Starkey" took upon himself to Organise back in November and was a raging success IMO. It was open to all UKAPS members :D

Check this link to see what went on:
http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13759

I am sure this day and others like it will happen again soon, the best bit was the lovely people at Aquajardin really made an effort and even got us tea and cakes! Cheers Ed and Stu!

Back