• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 20-09-11)

Re: Andyh's New 190l Lounge tank. Day One!

You've got the best seat in the house!! :thumbup:

The hardscape and planting is looking brilliant Andy, will be looking forward to seeing this all grow in, I recently added Tropica's new plant Echinodorus 'Vesuvius' to my tank and I love the stuff, very unusual but great looking and yep......it's very fast growing so get those trimming fingers ready! :lol:

Great Start!!

Cheers Ben

Re: Andyh's New 190l Lounge tank. Day three

looks amazing already :D .just going to get better and better.
i really like the Pogostemon Erectus.new to me :) .

Those dragon stone are humongous! Personally I do feel that you need more plants at the back, its looking a bit sparse at the moment. From experience with stems, you need to plant them all at one go. It's hard to trim them into a nice shape if you intend to harvest the existing stems and replant the tips. Just some personal experience, I don't take anything away from the superb hardscape.

Looks great Andy, i think it will justify a visit to derby in about 10 days.
Nice to see your cabinet well organised,[ apart from the right hand socket, which aint quiet level] :twisted: :twisted:

The hair grass between the dragon stone should look excellent once it starts to carpet. :thumbup:

Re: Andyh's New 190l Lounge tank. Day One!

B7fec said:
You've got the best seat in the house!! :thumbup:
Cheers Ben
Yes i have Ben, although all i see to do at the moment is look into the tank :geek:
nelson said:
looks amazing already :D .just going to get better and better.
i really like the Pogostemon Erectus.new to me :) .
Cheers nelson, The PE is really nice and seems to be getting bushier already!
flygja said:
Those dragon stone are humongous! Personally I do feel that you need more plants at the back, its looking a bit sparse at the moment. From experience with stems, you need to plant them all at one go. It's hard to trim them into a nice shape if you intend to harvest the existing stems and replant the tips. Just some personal experience, I don't take anything away from the superb hardscape.
Yeah big stone! its nice to get some substantial stone in a scape. As for the stems you could be right, albeit there are quite a few hidden behind the rocks which you cant see yet o_O
bogwood said:
Looks great Andy, i think it will justify a visit to derby in about 10 days.
Nice to see your cabinet well organised,[ apart from the right hand socket, which aint quiet level] :twisted: :twisted:
The hair grass between the dragon stone should look excellent once it starts to carpet. :thumbup:
Better get tidying if your coming to visit, thanks for pointing the socket out, but can assure you its an optical illusion :lol:

Technically Day 14 (as i took these pics on Wednesday evening.)

Still getting a little yellowing of the water but its getting better with every water change. Currently i am performing 2 per week, typically 50%.

Dosing now up to instructed level, so thats ADA Brighty K and Step 1, every day. CO2 system now had 3kg bottle fitted with the JBL adaptor which was very easy to do. Keeping a couple of spare disposable bottles for when i am getting the big bottle filled.

Plant growth is steady, i have noticed that not having the higher watts per gallon makes a significant change to the plant growth rate. When i switch from the 96w of T5 to the 150w MH i will need to give careful consideration to my levels of CO2 and ferts to ensure that the balance is achieved.

web.jpg

The Hair Grass (E.Parvula) is starting to fill in nicely with lots of fresh shoots and runners appearing, just wondering whether or not to prune it again to encourage compact growth?
web.jpg

The Hygrophila Pinnatifida is growing well, its starting to look really nice.
web.jpg

The Staurogyne, is doing really well, and i have pruned a couple of stems already, cant wait till it fills this area
web.jpg

The only plant i have had problems with is the Echinodorus 'Vesuvius' which as can be see on this photo has had some die back etc on the older leaves. I am tempted to cut it right back, as its putting out runners and the new growth is very healthy. What do we reckon? :geek:
web.jpg

Added a few more fish, check out these Electric Blue Rams, this photo does not do this fish justice! :D
In the background Dwarf Chain Loach/Botia and a Denison Barb.
web.jpg

Thanks for looking, hoping to put together a little HD video at some point over the weekend, so keep watching :geek:
Andyh

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank. Day 14

Sweet looking tank Andy!

I have had the same problem with the Echinodorus 'Vesuvius' , I have trimmed off the 'melting/dying' leaves and athe new growth rate increased a great deal, I had apprpx. 50 small sized runners and plantlets from 2 plants in 3 weeks.

Johnny

Hi Andy,

Looking good mate, I like those Rams! As for the Vesuvius, same as Johnny........I trimmed off the dying leaves and ended up with loads of runners and great growth!

Cheers Ben

Andy I AM SO JELOUS OF YOU :twisted: :lol: You have all my dream fish in your tank. I hope my parrents let me have a bigger tank soon. The tank looks great. Is any shrimp going in there?

Hi Andy.
Nice to see the Hygrophila Pinnatifida has settled in well, and is showing good growth, mine is doing likewise.

As you will recall, my previous tank had a large area of The Hair Grass (E.Parvula), and the best results were from areas i had constantly kept cut.

Your Java narrow has really taken off, hard to believe its stuck down with super glue. :thumbup:

Enjoyed seeing your tank for real at the weekend.
So come on then, how many of those gorgeous rams are in the tank know???????????
Cheers

johnny70 said:
Sweet looking tank Andy!
I have had the same problem with the Echinodorus 'Vesuvius' , I have trimmed off the 'melting/dying' leaves and athe new growth rate increased a great deal, I had apprpx. 50 small sized runners and plantlets from 2 plants in 3 weeks.
Johnny
B7fec said:
Hi Andy,
Looking good mate, I like those Rams! As for the Vesuvius, same as Johnny........I trimmed off the dying leaves and ended up with loads of runners and great growth!
Cheers Ben
Cheers guys, so looks like i will be pruning out those leaves when i do my water change later. I have a few runners already, so hopefully the pruning will promote more :D
Krish's Bettas said:
Andy I AM SO JELOUS OF YOU :twisted: :lol: You have all my dream fish in your tank. I hope my parrents let me have a bigger tank soon. The tank looks great. Is any shrimp going in there?
:D Yes i have some very nice fish, for me fish are as important as the plants and hardscape as i come from a fishkeeping background. Some people may suggest that they produce too much waste, but i would argue this point as my filters are very well spec'd and i have masses of flow.
The Rams are stunning, photos don't even come close to the real thing! I got these from TGM, they are by far the best specimens I have ever seen.
bogwood said:
Hi Andy.
Nice to see the Hygrophila Pinnatifida has settled in well, and is showing good growth, mine is doing likewise.
As you will recall, my previous tank had a large area of The Hair Grass (E.Parvula), and the best results were from areas i had constantly kept cut.
Your Java narrow has really taken off, hard to believe its stuck down with super glue. :thumbup:
Enjoyed seeing your tank for real at the weekend.
So come on then, how many of those gorgeous rams are in the tank now???????????
Cheers
Hello Bogwood,
I will give the haigrass another trim later when i do my water change then!
As for the Rams, i now have 4 :D They look great together and as you know the black background really sets them off. Thanks for you comments :thumbup:

Bobtastic said:
I do love those Ram. I would have to mortgage my soul (again) to be able to afford them tho!
Tanks looking really nice too, another success!
Cheers Bob, the rams are very cool and well worth the money! :thumbup:

So for those that prefer a video:
HD Video
Let me know what you think o_O

That video is great at showing the lovely fish stocking, to my uneducated eye it almost reminds me of a reef how the different species are interacting. Great tank Andy! :thumbup:

Looks great Andy, the only fish that for me stands out too much are the Blue Rams, looking forward to seeing this grow in, my Hygrophila Pinnatifida just keeps melting away, hardly any leaves left now, think it might be the hard water.

NeilW said:
That video is great at showing the lovely fish stocking, to my uneducated eye it almost reminds me of a reef how the different species are interacting. Great tank Andy! :thumbup:

Hey Neil, thanks for your comments the fish have been very carefully chosen, and are all my favourites :thumbup:
LondonDragon said:
Looks great Andy, the only fish that for me stands out too much are the Blue Rams, looking forward to seeing this grow in, my Hygrophila Pinnatifida just keeps melting away, hardly any leaves left now, think it might be the hard water.

Paulo, Paulo........Paulo how can you not like my Rams?! They are amazing fish! :D :D :D :geek: :angelic:
Bad luck with the Pinnatifida, mine is growing really well if thats any consequence :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry!

andyh said:
Paulo, Paulo........Paulo how can you not like my Rams?! They are amazing fish!
haha I saw them a TGM when I was up there and they just don't appeal to me, prefer more natural looking fish that's all ;)

Hi Andy,just read through the journal and i love it mate,you have set yourself some high class standards with your previous scapes so this one has to be good,the scape it self has lots of promise,your rock work looks good and your choice of plants suit the scape very well,the new plant from tropica is very fern like isnt it,one of the best things is your chair placement spot on mate :lol: ,
good luck with it,
regards,
john.

andyh said:
The Rams are stunning, photos don't even come close to the real thing! I got these from TGM, they are by far the best specimens I have ever seen.

I saw some @ maidenhead aquatics today. They were stunning, but @ £12.00 each, a bit pricey :( I'd of had some too.

tank looks sweet mate

Back