• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andy D - 2nd Proper Attempt - still learning...

Andy D

Hi All,

Its probably not worth a journal to be fair but I thought I would document it nonetheless. As the title advises, this is my second attempt at a CO2 injected set-up. The first attempt went well and I achieved my main goals of growing healthy plants and keeping algae at bay. The scape itself was pants but that was of no concern. The hardest part (as I am sure you are all aware) was getting the CO2 levels/distribution right. I was quite please when I finally achieved this.

So now I am onto the second attempt. The various specs are as follows:

Tank - Fluval Ebi (30x30x35cm)
Filtration - Fluval Nano Internal rated at 307lph
Lighting - Fluval Mini Power Compact - 13w
Heater - Superfish 50w
CO2 - 2kg FE with ceramic diffuser
Substrate - Cat litter
Hardscape - Lava Rock
Ferts - Standard EI

Flora
- Eleocharis Sp 'Mini' (2 pots if Tropica 1-2-Grow)
- Staurogyne Repens (1 pot of Tropica 1-2-Grow)
- Pogostemon Helferi - 1 pot

Fauna - None

This time I have paid a little more attention to the actual scape. It is still very basic but looks better than last time. I have used more substrate and banked it higher to improve the depth perception and have gone for a basic rock layout. (Pictures will follow).

I planted it up today. I am sure it could have been better but again this is still a way for me to practice and overcome hurdles.

Now just got to see how it turns out...

:)

u6ybyra5.jpg

5u5e9ema.jpg

5e8yju2y.jpg

ugaqu9y8.jpg

You'll have to excuse the poor phone pictures :)

Attachments

• u6ybyra5.jpg
    u6ybyra5.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 5u5e9ema.jpg
    5u5e9ema.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 5e8yju2y.jpg
    5e8yju2y.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 56
  • ugaqu9y8.jpg
    ugaqu9y8.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 67
Still tweaking to try to get things right.

I swapped the diffuser for an atomiser. Now I get a much finer mist of CO2 that has improved dissolution. I have also cranked CO2 but I think I may need to go further.

All of my clumps of Eleocharis seem to have a lot of the strands/blades turn grey and melt. None of them have gone completely though and hopefully will make a recovery.
The Staurogyne seems to be doing well except for the section down the middle which again had a problem with the leaves going grey. This problem seemed to spread. I removed all affected plants.
Pogostemon is doing well.

So some ups and downs but this tank has been set up solely to allow me make mistakes and hopefully learn from them. :)

Here it is from a couple of days ago:

e8udavy6.jpg

Last edited:
Back