• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

An interesting article I found on plants in British Lakes

GreenNeedle

I was actually looking for some Geological info on my local nature reserve in Lincoln (Swanholme Lakes) and discovered this article. May be of interest to some. Apparently there are a fair few rare species in my local. lol

Some familiar names too!!!

This is in .pdf format:
http://www.jncc.gov.uk/pdf/pub06_Vegcom ... 1-ch9a.pdf

This is what I found out about my nature reserve:

The wetland habitat is described by English Nature as the only site in the East Midlands with lime rich and nutrient-poor elements combined. The aquatic flora is defined by English Nature as being "nationally important."

2) It supports the following rare and endangered species.
Maiden pink Dianthus deltoides
Swanholme Lakes contains the only Lincolnshire population of this nationally scarce heath and acid grassland plant.

Sheep's-bit Jasione montana
This heathland plant species is limited to three localities in Lincolnshire, having been lost from three others since 1985.
Many-stalked spike-rush Eleocharis multicaulis

A wet heath species declining severely due to habitat loss, this plant is found in only one other Lincolnshire locality.
Whorled water-milfoil Myriophyllum verticillatum
A nationally scarce and declining aquatic plant species now recorded at only two other county localities. Five other sites have been lost since 1985.

Pillwort Pilularia globulifera
A nationally scarce wetland species only occurring at three other county localities.

Kingfisher Alcedo atthis

A scarce breeding species in Lincolnshire with no more than eight confirmed annual breeding records between 1991 and 1994.

Red-eyed damselfly Erythromma najas
A nationally localised species confined to southern and midland counties. It is known from only 6 Lincolnshire localities, including Swanholme Lakes.

AC

SuperColey1 said:
Apparently there are a fair few rare species in my local. lol
AC

You want to pop down my local if you want to see some rare species :lol:

Back