• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Amphibian pond

Parablennius

Afternoon all

New member here posted in the intro section and was asked for details of pond, so!

Pond measures 12’ by 8’ with an 18” margin, the most important bit, on 3 sides and is 18” deep ‘Twas set up in response to most of my childhood ponds having disappeared for reasons various, usually new housing, and was aimed at conservation of native amphibians. A large part of the garden, raised beds etc are hollow in the sense that newly metamorphosed juveniles can find deep, effective, permanent refuge without running the gauntlet of cats, cars, grids etc. I also included log piles, piles of smashed bricks and so on in areas that never get walked on. Common frogs were already present in the garden when we moved here in 1986. Smooth newts were introduced following “ rescues” from local doomed ponds in building sites etc. Palmate newts were introduced from a derelict industrial site and Great crested newts were introduced, as eggs for 3 years ( via the then required English Nature licenses) from a fellow enthusiast. All are now self-supporting via annual recruitment, although every few years I remove some frog spawn and rear the larvae in plasterers baths, otherwise the newts will put paid to much frog recruitment as they will happily eat all the larvae, even sucking the unhatched egg out from the protective jelly. So keen are they that I occasionally find a drowned newt, so far into the mass of spawn that it could not escape.

The pics below are from a few summers ago, plants being

Caltha palustris v.polypetala

Calla palustris

Iris pseudacorus

Filipendula ulmaria

Lythrum silicaria

Potamogetan crispus as a Newt spawning medium

Elodea densa as a Newt spawning medium

Stratiodes aloides Since removed

Also shown is a Triturus cristatus larvae shortly before metamorphosis. You can see that the left side gill is reducing and its legs will thicken as its fin reduces.

Aside from the 3 native newt species I’ve also reared from eggs (but not free to roam) Triturus alpestris, Triturus marmoratus ( truly beautiful creature) and Triturus vittatus and the fire salamander Salamandra.

Hope you like the pics

Cheers
IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a really great example of a wildlife friendly habitat...having a self supporting population of Great Crested Newts is a real bonus, it's a great achievement all round.
Are there any other associated populations in nearby ponds?

well done mate ,what a lovely thing to do helping nature like that. Its such a shame their natural habitat is being ruined by developments. Keep up the good work.

That looks like a really great example of a wildlife friendly habitat...having a self supporting population of Great Crested Newts is a real bonus, it's a great achievement all round.
Are there any other associated populations in nearby ponds?
Hi troi
Sadly not, which makes this an isolated population but I've seen no problems so far. They cannot be collected from the wild and it was a 60 mile trip for the eggs, the provider of which also needed to possess the required licenses too. Even in a garden pond they are still viewed as wild so technically when doing essential pond maintenance, I'm disturbing them!! I always wait 'till late autumn when the adults will be elsewhere and very few if any larvae left.
The good news is that my pond is listed as a newt breeding site. Thanks to all for your comments.

Last edited:
Back