• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amazon deficiency?

Firstly let me apologise for double posting, I added these pics to another post but the post tailed off and was in the wrong category just wondering if this is some sort of deficiency in the new leaves of Amazons.
photo030l.jpg

The yellow hole on the back right was on from when I got it from the shop and is only new so won't be from my dosing.

Hi, do you have any ancistrus on your tank? Also check iron levels, Amazon swords really like iron. :)

I had some issues with mine, but after getting rid of the ancistrus and dosing iron they are just amazing looking now.. :
4473979045_333c03f53c_b.jpg

I don't have Ancistrus only a Siamese Algae eater, I also don't have an Iron test kit :) I did add some ferrotabs to the base of the plants at the weekend to see if that helps. I already dose PMDD+PO4 and has no other plants seem to be affected I'm assuming that there should be enough ferts in the column :?

Nice plants BTW

AverageWhiteBloke said:
......I also don't have an Iron test kit :) I did add some ferrotabs to the base of the plants at the weekend to see if that helps.

Don`t bother with the test kit. Iron is difficult enough to test for in lab conditions, let alone with a hobby test kit.

Personally, I have never kept these types of plants before, so I can`t comment how significant targetting the dosing of iron is, but I would be surprised if it was deficient under your current dosing regime.

Dave.

Hi Dave, WhiteBloke just added the ferrotabs, and iron probably was not on his dosing regime. Amazon swords are heavy consumers of iron, at least I found that with mine, even that I had a good substrate, the plants only perked up two weeks after starting to dose easyferro. :)

Thanks guys, I don't dose iron other than is in the traces formulae AE+ is the iron in this mix not enough? I was always under the impression being a trace it only needed to be in small amounts :? but the way I was thinking is changing daily :)

You are also right about the ferrotabs I don't usually dose at all, I did put some JBL balls in the substrate when first changing to planted which supposedly need changed every 12 month. I was just in the LFS and saw the tabs in the bargain bin still in date. £2.00 thought they would help being root feeders.

Regards Neil

Hi Neil,

The root balls from jbl are good, I also use them, however I only got my results after the iron dosing. It worked for me. :)

There are some people much more experienced than me on the forum, so maybe post pics of the plant leaves.

This is the thread of my issue:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10146&p=113460&hilit=amazon#p113460

so maybe post pics of the plant leaves

:? Can you not see the pics, not sure if I posted properly bit of a noob :)

BTW the root tabs are already showing benefits even one week after, the Amazons which usually gradually creep out a new leaf which v slowly develops shot out a couple of new ones twice the size of the old plant and a rich green in colour. I will be adding tabs every two week from now on they seem to like it.

Hi.. you were right, the leaf was on the pic, I had missed it..

Also look at adding iron to the water column.

The JBL root tabs last a while, so you may not need to add them every two weeks, but there should be no harm in doing so.

oh, i won't buy any then, as i don't have co2. although i'm sure i've kept E. rubin before, i don't think it did very well now i think about it.

thanks for the info. :D

Back