• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amazon biotope stocking

Craigmac104

Wife has signed off on getting a fluval Roma 240

Definitely want a school of Congo tetras, yellow tail if possible, upside down catfish. What are your suggestions for further fish? Not sure if any cichlids would be viable, maybe to aggressive with the tetras. What has worked four you?

I would love to do a Amazon Biotope at some point,there are suprisingly may different types though,some more open space clearer some blackwater subdued dark substrate twig and bogwood with less plants maybe floating.The prefered fish shoals of tetras say rummynoses, with one or two groups of catfish,Congos are african of course so woulnt fit with a true biotope

your right Paraguay with regards Congo tetras. maybe a south american biotope would be a better option.

read that many threads reference biotopes have confused myself, to correct myself. maybe a african biotope is on the cards, probably congo.

one of my favourate tanks i have kept...
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/african-antics-na120.37956/

for the bufferfly cichlids i would advise one male and 3 females in your size tank as once they lay eggs aggression is quite high (fine all other times) and ensure the sight lines are broken with good shaded areas for them to retreat to.
Also dont buy too many tetra as they are big fish and you'll be surprised how quickly they grow.

Great thread and awesome tank, really enjoyed the video. Sold on the butterfly cichlids, was thinking of about 6-8 congo tetras, does that sound reasonable. Couple of upside down cats and maybe if I can find some, 2 or 3 African butterfly fish. Does this seem reasonable level of stocking? Given me some ideas on plants too. Was thinking of adding some crinum and bolbitis too. Lighting should be pretty low with the two 40w T8 the tank comes with. No co2 intended.

Phenacogrammus interruptus
Congo Tetra are quite stunning (especially in larger groups) but also not adverse to sampling the vegetation ;)

From Going Dutch ...sponsored by Tropica

I've got Congo Tetras, White Fin Tetras and Santa Filomena Tetras.
... and I must say i'm having some troubles with the Congo Tetras because they started to like some plants. This is the worst to happen on a planted tank (algae we can control, hungry/vegetarian fish not really). I increases the daily food and it's "controlled" but i'll take more then a half of them soon.

:)

South American Biotope would be much easier than an african one IMO, with much more choice of both plants and fish. Gold Emperor tetras are almost as showy as Congos, saw some the other day and they looked amazing. Upside down catfish wouldn't fit in, but more than enough options with corydoras to make up for it.

Back