• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Am I reading this wrong

Sgtpepper888

Seedling
I've been waiting nearly 2 weeks for nitrite, I'm not clear if I have some in the tank or don't

What do you think?

I'm almost sure it was lighter blue when I did the test yesterday
20190708_103408.jpg

2 weeks for nitrite is about right (beginning with new tank etc)

Do I trust Aquarium Test Kits?
It ain’t Rocket Science, those chemistry methodologies are well documented (and standardized etc, etc) and it’s rare to have sufficient “possible interfering” compounds in well maintained aquaria
Most common “error” is user generated rather than chemical limitation of these kits
(I rate expired kits, improperly stored kits as “user error”)

Seachem version include a reference standard so this is something to look for when kit purchasing

Hi all,
I've been waiting nearly 2 weeks for nitrite, I'm not clear if I have some in the tank or don't
You will have some nitrite.

If you are <"adding ammonia">? Just stop. If the tank is planted? The plants will be taking up any nitrite (as well as ammonia and nitrate).
Seachem version include a reference standard so this is something to look for when kit purchasing
Take some water in to your local Aquarium shop and have them test it.
Depends what they are using to do the tests with, as @alto says you have to use the scientific protocol to get a meaningful approach. Nitrite (NO2-) is <"easier to test for then nitrate (NO3-)">, because some nitrite compounds are insoluble (nitrates are always soluble) so you can use <"spectrophotometry"> to test for it. If the LFS doesn't have a spectrophotometer, their test kit isn't really any better than yours.

cheers Darrel

Back