• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Alternanthera Reineckii Rosanervig eaten by Amano shrimps

Blueboar

Hi, I have a 3 week old 240 L tank, with Co2 injection. I have 24 Amano, 4 cherry shrimps. And there are 4 otocinclus, some 18 tetras, 3 platies, and 1 betta.

12 of the amano were added last Monday. Since then, what I noticed was that Alternanthera Reinecki Rosanervig was shredded. You can see it in the picture and there were floating bits of the leaves. I have been trying to feed the shrimps some blanched courgettes.

Has anyone on the forum come across this problem? Did you overstock the shrimps? I watched Wasabi aquarium channel on YouTube which suggests a much larger number of Amano shrimps!

A good thing is that now the tank is 3 weeks old I dont see any sign of algae.

20210319_174019.jpg

I've never seen Amano go for healthy plants, but they can get aggressive if a bit hungry. Are you feeding any wafers or fresh food too? Might be worth popping in some Algae wafers.

I've never seen Amano go for healthy plants, but they can get aggressive if a bit hungry. Are you feeding any wafers or fresh food too? Might be worth popping in some Algae wafers.
AR was doing very well before the added shrimps.

I did feed them wafers and sinking shrimp pellets. But the betta likes the taste of them too and gets really bloated.

There’s certain plants they do like the taste of and AR is one of them. Maybe try and give them abit cucumber weighed down to keep them busy whilst the plant adapts.

cheers
Thanks! I think I will do that to keep them busy. For the long term, Do you think I have too many (24) Amazon in my tank?

My Amanos eat the Alternanthera Reinecki as well plus the Bolbitis and have got a taste for the Trident as well recently :rolleyes: probably due to going low tach and less light

So popped a few pots of hair grass for a pedicure
1616185409498.png

Starting to look pretty pristine

I did a direct comparison of AR 'Mini' in a high-tech tank with amano shrimp vs. a low-tech tank with cherry shrimp (Planting Alternanthera reineckii ‘Mini’ - Fireplace aquarium) and it looks like the amanos nom the AR whilst the cherry's are uninterested. I'm actually really happy with the AR 'Mini' growth in the low-tech setup - it seems like the growth advantage of injected CO2 isn't enough to compensate for some hungry amanos...

Hello, in a previous tank, AR mini completely destroyed by amano shrimps... Tried again, same result... Gave up, no more AR mini in my tanks 😔

Back