• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Alternanthera deficiency

nijat11

Hello everyone!
Could you please tell what kind of deficiency is wrong?
The tank is 800 liters + 200 liter sump.
I dose Tropical Special 14 ml one day and Tropica Premium 14 ml another day. Using liquid carbon and there are root tabs from masterline.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 236
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 167
Hiya @nijat11

Some more information about your tank would be super helpful.

1. Size of tank in litres.
2. Age of the set - up.
3. Filtration.
4. Lighting and duration.
5. Substrate.
6. Co2 dosing or Non-dosing.
7. Fertilizers used & Ratios.
8. Water change regime and type.
9. Plant list + When planted.
10. Drop Checker.
11. Inhabitants.
12. Full tank shot & Surface Image.

Without knowing anything about the tank and going off your fertilizer dosing I'd maybe suspect there are numerous deficiencies at play here. Assuming you add specialized and premium 3x per week (42ml of each in total) you'd be adding.

Specialized:
Element ppm/degree
N 0.563
P 0.042
Mg 0.164
K 0.433
S 0.382
Fe 0.029

Premium:
Element ppm/degree
K 0.336
Mg 0.164
S 0.382
Fe 0.029

So to me not really adding much of anything really.

Don't forget to answer the questions in the link and post a full tank shot.

Cheers.

The tank is 800 liters + 200 liter sump.
Thats a 1000 liter tank then.

dose Tropical Special 14 ml one day and Tropica Premium 14 ml another day. Using liquid carbon and there are root tabs from masterline.
Is that 14 ml of Tropica Specialized every other day throughout the week? like 42 ml/wk ? or just once every week?

in addition to the info @John q asks for:

Whats your water parameters: KH/GH/pH.

Cheers,
Michael

Additional questions:
How old is the tank? How long are the Alternantheras in the tank? How long are the other plants we can see on pic 1 in the tank?
(It may be that Alternantheras are sensitive to glutaraldehyde. I've never checked...)

14ml a day on 1000 litres of water?? Probably need to be adding 30 times that for high tech.

So as @John q say, you’ve probably got ‘everything’ deficiency.

How much glut are you adding? That’s also going to be a massive dose on 1000 litres.

14ml a day on 1000 litres of water?? Probably need to be adding 30 times that for high tech.
If he is doing 14 ml of Specialized every other day he would get 0.563 N/wk ... 30 times that would be an insane 17 ppm of N from NH4NO3 per week 🙂 ... but I see what you are saying... We definitely need more info about the tank!

Cheers,
Michael

If he is doing 14 ml of Specialized every other day he would get 0.563 N/wk ... 30 times that would be an insane 17 ppm of N from NH4NO3 per week 🙂 ... but I see what you are saying... We definitely need more info about the tank!

Cheers,
Michael

Sorry, yeah, I was thinking Johns figures were NO3! 😆

Hiya @nijat11

Some more information about your tank would be super helpful.

1. Size of tank in litres.
2. Age of the set - up.
3. Filtration.
4. Lighting and duration.
5. Substrate.
6. Co2 dosing or Non-dosing.
7. Fertilizers used & Ratios.
8. Water change regime and type.
9. Plant list + When planted.
10. Drop Checker.
11. Inhabitants.
12. Full tank shot & Surface Image.

Without knowing anything about the tank and going off your fertilizer dosing I'd maybe suspect there are numerous deficiencies at play here. Assuming you add specialized and premium 3x per week (42ml of each in total) you'd be adding.

Specialized:
Element ppm/degree
N 0.563
P 0.042
Mg 0.164
K 0.433
S 0.382
Fe 0.029

Premium:
Element ppm/degree
K 0.336
Mg 0.164
S 0.382
Fe 0.029

So to me not really adding much of anything really.

Don't forget to answer the questions in the link and post a full tank shot.

Cheers.
Hello!

1. Size of tank in litres. - 800 liters + 200 liter sump
2. Age of the set - Running for 5 month
3. Filtration - Sump. 1 chamber 5 sponges and filter floss, other chamber seachem martix + bihome ultimate, all together around 32 kg. Return pump 6000 liters per hour.
4. Lighting and duration. Zetligh Lancia - 2; 10:00-12:00 10% power, 12:00-14:00 15% power, 14:00-22:00 90% power, 22:00-22:30 15% power, 22:30-23:00 10% power.
5. Substrate. ADA Amazon v2 and small gravel
6. Not dosing CO2, only liquid carbon every day 30 ml.
7. Fertilizers used & Ratios. Tropical Special - 14 ml one day, Another Day Tropica Premium - 14 ml
8. Water change regime and type. Usually once in 10-14 days around 30%.
9. Plant list + When planted. Multiple Echninodoruses, Multiple crypts, anubiases, java ferns, java moss, ludwiga, rotala. Most of them planted 4 months ago, some has been planted recently.
10. Drop Checker. None.
11. Inhabitants. 12 Angel fish, 20 rummy nose teta, 15 kardinal tetra, 10 black neon tetra, 10 colombian tetra, 2 ancisturses, 10 corydora sterbais, 5 corydora pandas, 1 L340, 6 German blue rams.
12. Full tank image attached.

Attachments

• 1_1.jpg
    1_1.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 1_2.jpg
    1_2.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 141
Thats a 1000 liter tank then.

Is that 14 ml of Tropica Specialized every other day throughout the week? like 42 ml/wk ? or just once every week?

in addition to the info @John q asks for:

Whats your water parameters: KH/GH/pH.

Cheers,
Michael
Hi!
Well to be honest I dont follow exact schedule with Specialized, sometimes it could be 2 times per week, sometimes 3, Most I do Premium. But in average Special goes 2 times per week. Regarding the water parameter I do week drop tests.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate keeps around 20-30 ppm.
PH 7.8
gH - 8
kH -12.

Additional questions:
How old is the tank? How long are the Alternantheras in the tank? How long are the other plants we can see on pic 1 in the tank?
(It may be that Alternantheras are sensitive to glutaraldehyde. I've never checked...)
Alterneathera on 1 picture has been planted around 4 months ago, The echinodoruses on the first photo around 2 monthes.

So as @John q say, you’ve probably got ‘everything’ deficiency.

How much glut are you adding? That’s also going to be a massive dose on 1000 litres.
If glut is liquid carbon, I dose 30 ml per day.

The thing is , I have another 60l breeding tank. I do not dose anything there, and it grow there amazingly! Here is the photo

Attachments

• 1_3.jpg
    1_3.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 714
While looking at the pics, I suggest otherwise: Give up the Alternantheras, don't change anything, and enjoy otherwise healthy looking tank.

Alternantheras are not very demanding plants, yet still less hardy than the others you have. If you are interested in more demanding plants, then your water parameters are generally unsuitable for most of them. So, either stick to hardy species, or get another source of water - probably reverse osmosis. (Frankly, your choice of fishes would welcome it, too.)

Definitely way too low on fertilizer for such a hard water, high pH tank

Even with the ada soil and fish load I'd tend to agree with this.

don't change anything, and enjoy otherwise healthy looking tank

Maybe but looking at the pictures in his other thread I don't think its just the alternanthera that's suffering.

@nijat11 are these pictures from the same tank?
photo_2023-03-05_22-01-30.jpg
photo_2023-03-05_22-01-29.jpg
photo_2023-03-05_22-01-28.jpg

Althernanthera is a picky plant. Honestly your crypts and echinodorus are doing fine so I'd keep those. Scrap the althernanthera and if you still want a red/pink plant get some crypt flamingo.

Althernanthera is a picky plant. Honestly your crypts and echinodorus are doing fine so I'd keep those. Scrap the althernanthera and if you still want a red/pink plant get some crypt flamingo.
I have some crypt flamingos and they doing really great, I will make photos tomorrow. Also have Ludwiga Red and seems growing really good. Recently planted rotala rotundifolia and hope it also will grow.

I have some crypt flamingos and they doing really great, I will make photos tomorrow. Also have Ludwiga Red and seems growing really good. Recently planted rotala rotundifolia and hope it also will grow.
Focus on plants that you can grow and not the ones you can't 👍you've got lots of real estate so try all the plants you can get your hands on!

Back