• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

AL's Acrylic Nano

Little-AL

Hi Guys,

Been thinking of setting up an additional tank for a little while. Was torn between doing a fighter tank or shrimp only - i'm still not decided 110% on the final stocking as I still love Fighters having kept them before but am leaning towards shrimp currently!

The tank itself is an Askoll 23cm cube made from Acrylic - ordinarily they have a small filter built in to the lid - i've chopped this out and added an Aqua Manta corner filter (rated to 50 litres) alongside a 25w heater. Lighting is a built in tile with 3 LED's - they are a fairly cool colour so am unsure currently how plants will last under them. I have an Arcadia Arc Pod knocking around if they aren't good enough or will get a couple of the small Up LED fixtures from Tankscape.

The tank when it was purchased from my local Maidenhead Aquatics:

20130324_135352.jpg

All cleaned up with filter and heater added:

20130324_151725.jpg

I wasn't really sure what I wanted to use for hardscape - originally I fancied a small piece of wood but wasn't in a patient mood so bought these two chunks of Lava rock:

20130324_133110.jpg

Some work with the hammer & chisel gave me these chunks...

20130324_152059.jpg

Which looked like this in the tank with a bit of rinsed JBL Manado:

20130324_154109.jpg

I stole some Moss from my main tank and tied that around the rock with green cotton - I also chucked in a couple of small bits of Stauro to see if they will grow under the LED's;

20130324_161716.jpg

How it looked after being filled:

20130324_164049.jpg

20130324_164057.jpg

So after all that hard work it was time for a refreshing Green Tea :p

And how it looks tonight:

20130324_192832.jpg

Going to let it run for a couple of weeks then will add a few bits of mature ceramic media out of my main tank so that I can add some live stock :)

Got a couple of new bits today... TMC Microtherm heater as its much more subtle than the big glass thing I bought with the tank. Also some additional plants :)

20130327_143527.jpg

Picked up a small piece of Sumatran would, an Anubias nana petite and some Tropica 1-2 Grow moss that I can't remember the name of at all! #facepalm

20130327_172304.jpg

Tied the wood to the rear rock, added the plants and bosh... Some height in the tank!

20130327_164530.jpg

Just need to let the water params settle down and I can fill it with shrimp :)

looking good mate u decided on shrimp then and not a fighter :( lol

Dean

looking good mate u decided on shrimp then and not a fighter :( lol

Dean

Hi Dean,

Yes mate... I've seen some lovely fighters recently but don't like sticking them in tanks this small personally so going to stick with shrimp :)

I am going to buy some shrimp once sort out my algae and they look quite interesting from other peoples tanks but I have never had any before as this is my first setup but they will look great in yours, I want ones that are best at cleaning tank lol ;)

Dean

Hey al, that looks spot on with the wood instant height :) which shrimp are you looking to keep ?

Not 100% sure yet... Either white, yellow or orange ones? lol!

Hi all,

Is it a trickle filter? I may have a space for another small tank, and having a trickle filter in the lid would be an advantage for me.

cheers Darrel

Yes it is... very small and inadequate! The corner filter takes up space but is really good and keeping the tank clear!

FINALLY have shrimp alive and well in my tank! Well I say finally... it's been set up less than a month but feels like a lifetime! The nitrites just didn't want to come down then suddenly went to 0 on Thursday! Gave the acrylic a quick wipe over, cleaned the filter and did a partial water change using water from my big tank.

So my Crystals have settled in very quickly and seem happy mooching about in their new home. Hope I start to see some babies pretty quickly now!

20130421_165802.jpg

20130421_165812.jpg

20130421_145947.jpg

Back