• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

All my algae has gone, and i want it back!

Kezzab

Hi, i set up a hillstream tank in my wifes school. Been battering it with light and had lush soft green algae everywhere flowing in the current. Itd been that way for about 8 weeks.

A few days ago it all just started to die off. I had a look today and its mostly breaking apart and decomposing.

So why?

My guess is that its stripped the tank of nutrients (very lightly stocked) and starved itself to death.

Any thoughts? And will it return? Considering adding a tot of TNC complete.

K

20191115_134552.jpg

Was it a new setup? Most people are happy when the diatoms disappear a few weeks in - does look cool though!

For a small fee I will allow you to collect algae inadvertently currently accumulating in my tank :p. Pop over and I can provide a scraper and beer. The only downside is that I will continually berate you for posting on the forum complaining about not having enough algae :D where everyone is trying to kill the stuff.

lush soft green algae
I don’t think this is an easy algae to maintain longterm
I’ve observed it occasionally on wood close to light, despite doing nothing to discourage it, nor having much in the way of algae crew, it always wanes (which is a shame as I much prefer it over most mosses) ... my best green algae was present for almost a year, then over a couple months, gradually disappeared

(8-12 hour Light, CO2, Tropica Soil and fertilizers)

September is still fairly new tank - that's the sort of algae you often see in a new setup - the soft type that most algae eaters seem to love. My guess is ramping up the ferts/light you'll get algae but not the same type. Which, I know isn't helpful. I don't know what's special about a new tank that triggers that specific type.

Back